Lately,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Italianlnm

Everytime I buy spring mix it has already started rotting.. And I can't even think about giving that to Bullet.

So what do I do? Go fresh instead and get all fresh and make my own mix?

And ideas or suggestions?

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
If at all possible, go to your produce section when its early in the morning, that'll ensure that a produce person is there [I used to work in a grocery store] and ask them if they have any bags in the back. Most of the time they do, but don't put them out yet because they're trying to get rid of their stock thats about to go past the "sell by" date. As long as you don't end up with a real jerk working produce that day, they should be happy to get a fresher bag for you. Keep in mind though, sometimes what they have on the shelf is everything they have at that moment.

Also, right after I buy my spring mix, I take it home, sort thru the entire bag, and pick out anything I think looks questionable. After that I wrap it all in paper towels and put it into a large freezer bag. Then I close it all the way leaving just about an inch, and I physically suck all the air out, and close it up tight after that. I've found it can make the greens last longer than a week, that is of course if you suck the air out everyday. It sound weird but it works! =]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you look closely at the small print on the label, there is a sell by date. Its not in the usual format we are used to. For instance, the sell by date on the box in my fridge says, "use by/ 09 no 24" meaning, Nov 24, 2009 So check the date before you buy. The stores put the older dates on top or up front. You may have to dig through the pile to find one whose date is further out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use the debbie meyer's green bags, they keep my produce fresh for weeks and weeks, I once bought two things of spring mix and left one in the back of the fridge by mistake I found it like 4 weeks later and it was still fresh, those bags are amazing IMHO. I am in no way affiliated with debbie meyer or her green bags I am just a fan of that product. :)

I

Italianlnm

I try to get the bags farther back for the date.

Our grocer switched to a different company, and now the lettuce is always already starting to rot, and it just smells terrible.

Karam319

5 Year Member
My problem is how expensive spring mix is. I'm willing to pay for it, but Pokie eats a family size bag for one meal. She weighs about 60 or so pounds. A family size bag is over $5 around here. For now I can supplement with dandilions and grass that hasn't frozen, but in a few weeks that won't be possible. Organic romaine hearts are cheeper, but not as nutritious. I mix all of these things with Timothy hay. Is there anything else I can use for bulk?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you take all the little red leaf lettuce out and put it in a separate bag wrapped in paper towel, and then put the rest in another bag with paper towels on either side, take the air out of it and close it, it will probably last longer. This is what I do and it really helps. The whole idea is to keep it as dry as possible. For some reason the red leaf lettuce goes the fastest.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
what i do for my leopards and sulcatas, is i bought a ziploc vaccuum sealer at walmart for like $20. the ziploc bags are not too expensive, but i use over and over again. before i vaccuum seal them, i make use the produce is dry, and all the air is out. it works really well for me, and it stays fresh for a really long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.