Late night snacker

Location (City and/or State)
Hood River, OR
Mikey fell asleep a little after 6:30 right after his dinner. He didn't eat much so I thought winter was starting to get to him. I was on my way to turn of his light and say good night around 9:30 and he rushed over to his food like "no mom wait I'm not done with that". Silly little guy! 20171120_212838.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you normally feed him late? Or is this just a supplementary feed?

Tortoises should be fed first thing in the morning so they can browse through the day and bask to digest it.

A single evening feed means they have to go several hours without being able to digest what they have eaten because the “sun” has gone off for the night.

Hood River, OR
I usually feed him around 5pm and he just didn't want to eat today. This was supposed to be his dinner but he hardly touched it and I didn't take it out. I turn his light off no later than 10. I honestly thought it was ok to leave the food in there.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Feed him first thing in the morning.

In the wild, they will bask and then go looking for food, eat then bask some more to digest it

They may eat right up into the evening, but they have at least had chance to eat and digest through the day. Going all day without isn’t good for them.