Large white patch on Sulcata shell

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi,
I just washed mud off of my 80lb Sulcata's shell and discovered a large white area. He doesn't seem bothered by it but I'm really concerned since I have never seen this in the past. He has another small area on the other side of his shell. Does this look like shell rot? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• Buddy.jpg
    Buddy.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 104

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It looks like he rubbed against something to me. Let's see if others agree! I've read it's difficult for the sulcata species to have shell rot, but it's not impossible. Are they ever in a super moist environment?

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He sits under the air conditioner condenser drain line. He also has a mud pit area. He typically only stays in the mud pit area when it's pretty hot out. He sleeps under the drain line during the summer. I have seen his shell after rubbing up against something. It does turn whitish but I have never seen such a large area. It almost flaked off when I sprayed him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too thought rubbing. Does the drain line your talking about drip on him? Like maybe some kind of build up? Maybe @Yvonne G would know for sure.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If it's some kind of build up/deposit from the drain, a little diluted vinegar may remove it.

Doesn't seem a likely place for shell rot.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Something like that is very difficult to determine from a photo. But I would scrb this area with a abrasive kitchen pad or brush with vinegar as suggested. See if it comes off.

If you were in Florida I might think this was white mold - my sully had some here. I put lamisol on it , it was gone in a day. But we are in a high rain / humidity time of year.
It's possible he is getting constant moisture from the air conditioner drain line.

annie3

Hi,
I just washed mud off of my 80lb Sulcata's shell and discovered a large white area. He doesn't seem bothered by it but I'm really concerned since I have never seen this in the past. He has another small area on the other side of his shell. Does this look like shell rot? Thanks for any info.
was wondering if you figured out what this was i have a 70 lb sulcata male with the same problem...same exact looking patch

M

Maggie Cummings

He's either rubbing against the corner of your house, (looks like stucco to me) or it's hard water deposits....Try to wash it off with vinegar, let us know!

annie3

He's either rubbing against the corner of your house, (looks like stucco to me) or it's hard water deposits....Try to wash it off with vinegar, let us know!
im pretty sure its the hard water deposits ....its coming off with the vinegar slowly....is there anything else that will get it off any better its taking alot of scrubbing
thank you :)

Prairie Mom

Semi recent owner's opinion here...

But I just wanted to share that I have extremely HARD water. I clean hard water stains off my sulcata's carapace and it looks nothing like any of the pictures shown.

Again...amateur opinion, but I totally agree with Alaskamike. To me, it looks very much like the fungus depicted in these photos: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/shell-fungus-101.31057/
------------------------------

Here are some photos of my sulcata with hard water in the creases of her carapace and after cleaning it off with a toothbrush and oil:
mavis hard water.jpg

After being cleaned off:
carapace scrub close up.jpg

Prairie Mom

tried the lamisil cream an hour ago and see a huge difference already!!!
thank you :)
Interesting! I'm surprised you'd see something so quickly. I've never experienced what you're going through. Please give update.