White shell?

Tortalini

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
My redfoot's shell has slowly been turning white. I was pretty sure it was mineral build up from his humidifier and soaking in "hard" water. I read on another thread to put a little bit of vinegar on the affected area, but that didn't solve the problem. I rub his shell down with coconut oil and it helps for a week or so but then it turns white again. Any ideas? IMG_E6511.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My redfoot's shell has slowly been turning white. I was pretty sure it was mineral build up from his humidifier and soaking in "hard" water. I read on another thread to put a little bit of vinegar on the affected area, but that didn't solve the problem. I rub his shell down with coconut oil and it helps for a week or so but then it turns white again. Any ideas? View attachment 317739
It does look like hard water mineral staining.
It's really not anything to be worried about.
You'd have to buy purified water just for your tortoise to stop that.
Itd get expensive.
Is your RF kept in a humid closed chamber?
What is the substrate?

Tortalini

Columbus, Ohio
Gotcha thx! The top of his enclosure is half closed. I use coconut fiber substrate. I struggle most with the humidity during the winter, but its usually above 70%. I run the humidifier a couple hours a day and mist his enclosure a couple times a day so I definitely need to start using purified water.