Large Adult African sulcate owner would like to connect with other Adult sulcate owners

motogirl

Location (City and/or State)
Tehachapi
have lots of questions about proper care of inherited tortoise, but I can only seem to find stuff about caring for
babies.
Having a 150lb adult And making sure I am doing everything I can for her actually keeps me up at night. And with winter around the corner I am worried about how to keep her Happy and healthy. Would really like to connect with other owners of larger tortoises.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi, you've come to the right place!

You've probably seen these two topics already, but just in case:

This one covers diet:

I realize those threads are targeted toward smaller tortoises, but there is good information in there.

What sorts of questions did you have in particular?

Can you post pictures of your tortoise and their enclosure?

welcome to the forum!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise needs a large, well planted yard and a heated, insulated shed. I'm not sure about Tehachapi's winter weather, but the tortoise needs to be kept warm year round. Here are a few pictures of where my sulcata, Dudley, lives. He's about 110lbs:

Dudley 02-25-15.jpgDudley and Little Brother 10-13-16.jpgDudley's cord.jpgDudley's Rebuild 01-31-15 b.jpgDudley's Rebuild 01-31-15 e.jpgDudley's rebuild 2-1-15 c.jpgDudley's track 10-8-14.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
have lots of questions about proper care of inherited tortoise, but I can only seem to find stuff about caring for
babies.
Having a 150lb adult And making sure I am doing everything I can for her actually keeps me up at night. And with winter around the corner I am worried about how to keep her Happy and healthy. Would really like to connect with other owners of larger tortoises.
That is what we are all here for! :)

You need to build a large heated night box with insulation and a thermostat. You should have one now. Like this:

The diet can be mostly orchard grass hay with, grass, leaves, weeds, flowers and spineless opuntia pads thrown in when convenient.

You'll need at least one or two large shallow water tubs for soaking and drinking. Lots of shade for summer, sun for winter.

Your questions are welcome. Ask them all. You've found the right group of people to help you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What are you looking to find out? Here is my tort shed...
100_0087.JPG
This is Mary Knobbins...she's a rescue...she's not a large Sulcata, she's just barely 30 pounds.
Here she's napping in the sprinkler
100_7676.JPG
100_0180.JPG
My Sulcata pens are planted with Rose of Sharon bushes...they love the leafs and blossoms...
100_8198.JPG
Do you have any specific questions?

Attachments

• 100_5457.JPG
    100_5457.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 9

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
babies.

Attachments

• 20210823_165445.jpg
    20210823_165445.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21