Lump, the rescue sulcate update

nearpass

10 Year Member!
I posted a couple of threads early in the spring about Lump, and the basement enclosure I made for him. Got lights and heating set up, made him a hide (actually, quite a house) and moved him into it out of the Zoomed cage he'd been in about two weeks after I rescued him. He was miserable, which is understandable. He seemed to have no idea what to do with all the room, his hind legs weren't any too strong, either, as he'd never really had a chance to do much walking. All he would eat was the romaine lettuce that he'd had all his life, and I had to get him out of the hide, set him in front of it, he would eat, then go back to his hide.

What a difference a few months have made. I have a large outdoor pen I put him in to as soon as it was warm enough, also with a large house, and kind of left him alone a bit, other than to offer him weeds a couple of times a week. By mid summer he was acting like a normal sulcata! He'd bask, wander around and graze, and he began to understand that I was the treat goddess who brought him dandelions and plantain and other yummy things.

Now he's back in the basement enclosure, and I was initially concerned whether he'd adjust. He has! Wonderfully. Hardly ever in the hide except at night, runs to me when he sees me, wanders around, and he's eating the hay I've put in there, plus the weeds I can still get several times a week. His hind legs are so strong now, too. He's not grown a big amount, and I don't know if that will change after a bit due to his beginning in life, or if he'll remain on the small side.

I'm just thrilled with his progress!

Lump eating hay.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Yay! Glad he's doing so well

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Fabulous news! Great looking Sully! You sound like you're doing a terrific job with him.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Here's Lump with a very special treat! Cactus fruit, which he's having for the very first time. He now eats everything I put in front of him, and comes running when he spies me!

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/s5unGT1FJnM[/video]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I love it! Thank you for posting.

I love the prickly pear fruit. When I lived in New Mexico, I stayed in a house out in the desert, and I'd hike and pick them growing wild. Yum!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow, look at him tar into that! I am afraid my sulcatas aren't so lucky to get cactus fruit. I can seldom find them and they are pretty pricey, so I normally get them just for the hingebacks and redfoot/cherryheads. Lump is a lovely sulcata.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
Wow, look at him tar into that! I am afraid my sulcatas aren't so lucky to get cactus fruit. I can seldom find them and they are pretty pricey, so I normally get them just for the hingebacks and redfoot/cherryheads. Lump is a lovely sulcata.

I'm lucky I can find them at a local grocery store here in upstate NY. They are fairly pricey here, too, but I'm splitting this one with some of the other guys. I can afford such a treat once in a while to brighten up their inside stays :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Beautiful tort! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]