Kona in surgery today

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

chop chop...we're a funny group today, and I have laughed out loud a couple of times for such a serious thread. I don't mean to take away from the seriousness of this for Kona, but there's great humor happening too...

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
maggie3fan said:
chop chop...we're a funny group today, and I have laughed out loud a couple of times for such a serious thread. I don't mean to take away from the seriousness of this for Kona, but there's great humor happening too...

Of course, I don't want to make light of the situation, just want you to know that "penile amputation" is not as serious as it sounds. Will be thinking of Kona and wishing for a smooth recovery from anesthesia. My apologies to Wirewehear if you were offended in any way.

doc

M

Maggie Cummings

But isn't it a very serious thing whenever you anesthetize a tortoise? I always make sure my Vet will allow me to stand there and "bag" the animal as I believe that's the worst time, they need help breathing then...don't you think? Luckily it's only happened a couple of times recently

exoticsdr said:
maggie3fan said:

Of course, I don't want to make light of the situation, just want you to know that "penile amputation" is not as serious as it sounds. Will be thinking of Kona and wishing for a smooth recovery from anesthesia. My apologies to Wirewehear if you were offended in any way.

doc

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Hey everyone .... Sorry I'm posting so late. He made it thru the surgery and is very slowing coming off the anesthesia. She wanted it that way to help with the pain. He is staying with the Vet tonight and she will call me in the AM to let me know if she wants to bring him back home. Hopefully I can meet her at the house because I too would like to know the 'specifics' of the surgery. (dont worry Nay, I'll try to give you a little more than Doc Todds, chop - chop) Plus I want to check out her rig.
She is a mobile Vet and hubby sez she has a sparkling clean, new 30 ft converted RV, state-of-the-art equiped with a spotless surgical room. Dont know if she works outside this Valley. (Coachella Valley, Riverside county) I think on this board there is only one guy I saw near me in the Palm Springs area. Vets name is Susan Klages and is on the TFO Vet list here. She isnt at that office anymore and her number changed (i forgot the number in my work truck,sorry) But the people at the TFO list number will refer her current number. I'll find out how far her mobile unit will go and I'll remember to bring home her number. I think her new business name is Vet on the Run. And so far in my opinion, her cost is reasonable. The 1st surgery Kona had to just put the penis back in place was 150 more than the amputation. Plus another 160 for the second visit, to dremmel the shell and give an enema for the impaction he had after surgery. Which by the way wasnt a real impaction. I discovered after he was able to clear himself that one of the sutures moved out of place blocking the stool from passing. So I paid the vet for something he caused, technically. Kona busted the stitch and then was able to poop.
Hey ... Doc Todd. No offense taken at all for the bit of humor. Yes the surgery is serious but a little bit of playing around helps take the edge off worring about it. Besides .. I work with a bunch of men, should have seen them when I told them about the surgery. Shuffling feet .... hands moving around in those pockets a little more than usual. hah ... it was rather amusing. One kid made me laugh when he looked at me all serious and told me that Kona is now probably trying to think of a way to hang himself. Anyway .. had to of been there.
Thank you all for the good wishes. Will post back tomorrow. Good night!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yvie,
So glad that part is over!!Good for you for having someone be able to help. Can't wait to see pictures!!!
Tom, thanks for clarifying that, I thought that the 'rough' post Yvie made was in reference to a PU and after seeing it done, had some real concerns about performing that in a tort. Never mind the actual procedure itself, what about the time?
Maggie, you must have a special relationship with your vet. Not many would allow an owner in the surgical suite, (and that includes the folks that have put many 'bricks' in the wall), Kudos for her/him.
I love hearing that, as many Doc's these days think.. ahh many other things.. Never mind.
Keep good thoughts!
Nay

nascarmw

5 Year Member
Bakersfield CA
exoticsdr said:
Actually, removing the penis is no big deal in reptiles as the organ is a reproductive organ only and has nothing to do with urination, so chop-chop it's gone and the tortoise carries on without a hitch. In this case, it's definitely the best thing for Kona as the penis would just be a constant source of infection and problems. Here's a little info for cat owners: the PU or perineal urethrostomy is not the same as a penile amputation (though I have had to do both on some patients if the penis has been serverely damaged. The urethrostomy is the procedure which makes a new opening in the existing urethra (usually just south of the rectum) so the kitty can urinate. It's a pretty delicate procedure and technically difficult, but very effective and satisfying for the vet that get's it right.

thanks so much for explaining that to us!!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
omg I really love this group. information. laughs. some tears.

all good.

Glad Kona is better and going to get better.

teri

M

Maggie Cummings

Nay...a Vet tech assists with the bagging during the surgery. But after the surgery a tech would have to just stand there and bag the tort while he comes out of the anesthesia, so I was allowed to do the bagging then as tortoises use their front legs to help breathe and while out they don't have that pump action. So the Doc allows me to bag the tort after surgery. I have had the good fortune to only have 2 tortoises need surgery and was allowed to bag both times post op.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Hey folks .... Kona is still with the Vet. She'll bring him home after 6 tonight. She says he is doing as well as one can after such a surgery. I'm sure he is feeling mighty beat up. I hope after this he can just be a tort without all the discomfort and pain he's had to deal with.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks for the update, we appreciate it...my fingers are crossed for him...

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
maggie3fan said:
But isn't it a very serious thing whenever you anesthetize a tortoise? I always make sure my Vet will allow me to stand there and "bag" the animal as I believe that's the worst time, they need help breathing then...don't you think? Luckily it's only happened a couple of times recently

I said the surgery (i.e amputation is not a serious surgery)...meaning that he will do fine without "it" and it will in no way effect his ability to eliminate wastes as nature intended thus keeping him happy (?) if not at least healthy.

Anesthesia is ALWAYS a dangerous procedure for any species, whether warm or cold blooded, but probably more so for your reptiles because they are just so darned hard to monitor while under anesthetics...but I saw no need to draw out that part of the conversation and probably make Kona's mom feel even more angst than she was already feeling, but rather tried to focus on the more positive info...sorry for your misunderstanding my intentions.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Wirewehear said:
penis will be amputated today

queen-elizabeth-horrified-21.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.