Kona in surgery today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
Kona's penis will be amputated today. The vet will call me tonight to let me know how it went. She isnt the vet that saw kona before. That Vet is out for a couple weeks. I got this one off the TFO vet list. What a life saver for me. I think I really like her and she gave me more info on the possibilities of why kona keeps prolapsing than my regular tort vet. Heck, she spent more time with me on the phone discussing his issues and our options than I ever got in all my visits with the other vet... in total.
For those that know of Kona's partial paralysis in his rear legs, she says its likely the function that retracts his penis also has some paralysis. Now that makes sense to me.
I feel really relieved here ... to be honest, until I found this vet he was going to be euth'd today. It just felt so wrong but I was going to do it. ... Anyway, I'll post back later tonight.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Yikes! I'm not familiar with the back story and that first sentence is a doozy. Hope it all goes well. Good thing your regular vet is taking a vacation huh?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i guess he has been having continued problems? I hadnt seen an update.. i hope this works.
Glad you were able to find a vet you feel comfortable with as well. That makes a huge difference.
please let us know as soon as you can, how it all went.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I winced when I read that first sentence. Sorry it is a male thing, I know he won't miss it, but still, wow, good luck on the surgery.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good luck. I've got my fingers crossed that this will fix the paralysis problem too. Be sure to let us know your vet's name so we can give referrals.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am definitely not a male but I also winced when I read that first sentence. It just sorta slaps you in the face. I hope it all turns out well for you and I am glad the vet list helped you...keep us posted would ya?

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
PeanutbuttER said:
Hope it all goes well. Good thing your regular vet is taking a vacation huh?

Thanks .... and yes, a very good thing my vet is away. A blessing really. Sorry if that 1st sentence gave some of you the willies. lol.

Laura said:
i guess he has been having continued problems? I hadnt seen an update.. i hope this works.

yes ... he has been all along. But I've been able to soak and put him in his hosp. box and later find him okay. The last time was for 12hrs and had an appt. for him but I was able to cancel. This time tho its been since yesterday morning and it didnt look well for him this morning. I'll post back tonight.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
[ Sorry if that 1st sentence gave some of you the willies. lol.
[/quote]

hahahaha....made some of the more squeemish worry about their willies....hahaha. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

doc

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
dmmj said:
I winced when I read that first sentence. Sorry it is a male thing, I know he won't miss it, but still, wow, good luck on the surgery.

lol ... yeah I kinda got to the point real fast on that post. Vet says that he will still display (try anyway) like any other male tort but he wont have anything to display. :/ Kinda tough for you fellas to think about, eh. :)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
exoticsdr said:
[ Sorry if that 1st sentence gave some of you the willies. lol.

hahahaha....made some of the more squeemish worry about their willies....hahaha. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

doc

[/quote]

Alright, since you already said one I can't help myself anymore.

Better to give us the willies than to take them away... :p

I'm soo soo sorry if that was insensitive right now, but I couldn't resist. It was in very bad taste. Now I feel bad for having said it...

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
emysemys said:
Good luck. I've got my fingers crossed that this will fix the paralysis problem too. Be sure to let us know your vet's name so we can give referrals.

Thank you Yvonne, I'll post her info here tonight after I talk with her and see how he is doing.
And thank you too Maggie

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
good luck. yeah, amputated is kinda harsh. i would have wrote, today the vet is going to make kona's penis disappear. but, in all seriousness i hope it works out and its nice that youve decided to exercise the other option.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
That's rough man. I know how hard surgery is on a tort. Hope everything turns out the best for you.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
wow! I've been away from the board for a while.. I'm hoping for a good recovery for Kona. I'm glad your regular vet was out of town, so that you can get some 'real' care.. Our previous vet missed a problem with our dog (Cushings disease) and for months we just gave her a 'comfortable life' and spoiled her... until our previous vet went into practice with a newer vet who immediately diagnosed the problem. We had bear on meds immediately and probably extended her life for 5 or more years. Happy for you - new vet, happy for Kona - hopefully a better life experience (even without his willy).

regards

teri

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Best wishes to you and Kona today. Years ago I had to take in a male beagle for a "feminization" operation after a serious degloving accident. The vets had the proceedure all planned out, but on the day of decided to try a much less invasive proceedure. It was very successful and the dog had many more happy years. I hope everything turns out well for Kona!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yvie,
Yes Include me in the 'wow!' But I am curious about the specifics? I know of and have watched a male cat lose his penis. (A surgery performed when those darns cats just keep blocking up with crystals, basically turning a male into a female called a perianal urostrostomy (Good luck with my spelling, sorry)(And bet there are alot of squeamish noises about that one!!) But what do they do to a boy tort?? You can't just remove the penis?? Did they explain it? I am really curious about that>
Good Luck
Nay

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Actually, removing the penis is no big deal in reptiles as the organ is a reproductive organ only and has nothing to do with urination, so chop-chop it's gone and the tortoise carries on without a hitch. In this case, it's definitely the best thing for Kona as the penis would just be a constant source of infection and problems. Here's a little info for cat owners: the PU or perineal urethrostomy is not the same as a penile amputation (though I have had to do both on some patients if the penis has been serverely damaged. The urethrostomy is the procedure which makes a new opening in the existing urethra (usually just south of the rectum) so the kitty can urinate. It's a pretty delicate procedure and technically difficult, but very effective and satisfying for the vet that get's it right.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well if the readers wince at the OP's post wait until they read this one by the doctor, :D Chop, chop. :p Anyway I hope that your tortoises come through this in good health. Keep us posted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.