komodo/ mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

5 Year Member
Im struggling to gind oyt what is best as i used to feed my marginated tortoise komodo as part of his diet, after a few weeks i noticed he was leaving his fresh abd just eating komodo which is the same as mazuri for people in the US so i rung the breeder and got told to stop feeding komodo/mazuri as it contains far too much sugar and shouldnt be used as they can become addicted and not want fresh food so ive stopped and hes eating normal again but i read on here people still feed komodo/mazuri does no one else have the problem i did??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We don't know anything about Komodo food over here, but my strategy with Mazuri is to feed it twice a week and mix it in with some greens. That way, to eat the Mazuri, they also have to eat the greens. If the occasion ever happened (it hasn't yet), that one of my tortoise ignored their greens the day after A Mazuri feeding, that tortoise would not see Mazuri for a while.

Do they not teach punctuation over there anymore? I almost didn't answer your post because it was so hard to read. I'm sure I'm not alone in this... I mean no offense, but I think you will get more repsonses and help if you slow down a little and form proper sentences.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
We don't know anything about Komodo food over here, but my strategy with Mazuri is to feed it twice a week and mix it in with some greens. That way, to eat the Mazuri, they also have to eat the greens. If the occasion ever happened (it hasn't yet), that one of my tortoise ignored their greens the day after A Mazuri feeding, that tortoise would not see Mazuri for a while.

I do the same with Marion Red Sticks...I ALWAYS feed it mixed with other greens (fresh, dried or frozen/thawed), never by itself.

My wife and daughter have started calling it "Tortoise Crack"... :rolleyes:

Do they not teach punctuation over there anymore? I almost didn't answer your post because it was so hard to read. I'm sure I'm not alone in this... I mean no offense, but I think you will get more repsonses and help if you slow down a little and form proper sentences.

Must respectfully agree...slow down, froggy, and communicate clearly...we'd all enjoy getting to know you! :cool:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The general opinion is that Komodo prepared diets are more of a supplement than a base diet. Although the same could be said of most prepared diets, some are more complete than others. That said, grazing tortoises such as Marginated Tortoises should have a diet of comprised mostly of grasses and weeds. Prepared foods, like ZooMed's Grassland Tortoise Diet (or similar) would be more appropriate for a Testudo sp. and then only as a complement to a varied natural diet or 'emergency' rations during shortages of other foodstuffs.

froggy

5 Year Member
Hi all thanks for the replys reason why my spellings are so bad is im on my samsung phone which is touch screen and crap and dosnt always put on whst your typing so yes to your answer they do teach it just my phone been a pain.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
froggy said:
Hi all thanks for the replys reason why my spellings are so bad is im on my samsung phone which is touch screen and crap and dosnt always put on whst your typing so yes to your answer they do teach it just my phone been a pain.

I don't use a phone, but many do on here and have the complaints. We understand.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
froggy said:

I have an old-school Motorola Razr flip-phone and even it can be problematic in it "guessing" what you're intending to write. :rolleyes:

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have sulcata tortoises. They all like the Mazuri but they eat other stuff as well. I have three tortoises, one is mine, one is my husband's and one is my son's. The one that is mine, loves the Mazuri and will eat the Mazuri up until it is all gone and then eat the other food but I have not noticed it not eating the other food. Mine just prefers the Mazuri. In fact, today, when I gave them the Mazuri, mine must have smelled it because it put its head out real high, like it was sniffing and then came over to the food tray really fast to get the Mazuri. :) Good Luck with the Komodo!

Status
Not open for further replies.