Kinda greusome subject, but important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Funny that this topic would come up, as I have been
lying awake at night worrying about just this dilemma.
We have parrots, torts, tanks of fish, horses, donkey, goats and
of course the dog and a mess of cats.
I'll be writing something up for sure in the next few weeks,
to make sure everyone is provided for.
Anyway thanks for the info and the nudge to do something.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Plus make sure a couple of different folks know about you having a will. Such as if only my husband knew about my will, there is a good chance he and I could be killed at the same time since we spend so much time together. Then nobody may know I have a will and before it's found things could be gotten rid of in ways not wanted by me. So have these people who you inform about a will spread out a little bit.

Make sure at least a copy of your will is located in a secure place, where folks know to look for it. In among papers (and not known about) once more can mean a time delay in being found, while animals are moved into perhaps unwanted places.

Make sure, if you have more then one animal, that by the paperwork somebody not knowing your animals can identify them. This way, whoever is in charge of your estate can know which animal actually goes to whom. Don't assume for instance one of your children or your spouse who lives with you can say which is which. Under stress will they know? What if the entire family was in a car and all died in the crash?

Even if you only have redfoots and your leaving all of them to Carl, help him out by making sure each of those animals is able to be clearly identified and leave him some helpful information on each of them. Things like health history, age, ect.., If you even just have one tortoise, be sure this is written either in the will or as an attachment. It's in your tortoises best interest that the new owner know their basics.

Make sure you have a care plan set up for the time between your death and when the person your wanting to recieve them actually gets them. Unknown to you, somebody may fight your will or hold it up time wise. Getting things organized after a death can take some time. Just several things can eat up time after your death and those animals will need proper care in the meantime.

You also need to think about you may be in an accident or have some major health problem where your in the hospital for a long time before death or you may end up being alive, but placed in a nursing home, ect.., A will does no good, but a care plan would kick in.

A care plan should tell folks how to care for your animals while your unable and who they should go to, if you will not be returning back to care for them in the future. Remember, this may fall unto somebody who knows nothing about aniamls, so be sure to give details on types of food, temps, humidity, ect.., Be sure to leave them some numbers or means to contact "go to" people to help them with any problems or questions that may arise.

As kinda a side note, would be sweet if you also asked them to go online (or have somebody else do it) and leave a post in any groups you may be very active in. We worry about what happens to folks who just disappear and it would just be nice to know the why they are gone. Some folks in here for example are like extended family.

Be sure, when listing not only at least two people or groups/rescues for the animals to go to, that you give plenty of information on how to contact them. Don't just say for example Yvonne. Find out her last name, if you can. Other information is needed like actual phone number and address. Which if you tell whomever your leaving the animals with why your asking, they would probally be happy to give you in private the information. Sometimes we are just too shy to do that or just never bring up the subject, so if you don't have that information be sure you have their complete online information. Such as [email protected] and what site they can be found like tortoiseforum.org. It increases the chances that the people seeking them can find them to let them know what you have gifted them with.

You might want to think about what happens once these animals go to Fred for example. Are they his to do with as he wish? Can he sell them to strangers for the highest dollar? Or do you want to make requests of him? If he can't keep them, is he to give them to another good home or can he sell them? What kind of a home do you want for them? For example with my Hingebacks, I want them going to somebody who will use them in breeding programs. However, Tilman my sulcata is not to be used for breeding. So I may be giving them to Chris, but I am wanting him to use a list I make as a guide to what I want for them. Which hopefully the person you are using, already feels the same way you do and would do the same job as you already. Be sure you make your wishes clear.

Will the person(s) getting your animals also be given the equipment you have for them? If they must be shipped, who will pay for that? Take the time to really think your will thru. Think of all possible things that might happen. Make sure you tell friends and family what your wishes are and where the will is. Remember to keep it updated as animals or people change.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Jacqui. Great post! These are things I NEVER in a million years would have thought of. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that. I definitely have to sit down and put some time into this.
Thanks all that posted. maybe be greusome, but that is life.
Na

And... it also helps so much with the left behind people to not have to do any research and less likely to have these beloved pets just gotten rid of. Less work for them and that's love and thoughtfulness.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jacqui Thanks that was some great information. Gives me more to think about and set a care plan into motion. I have a spiral book I keep each torts records in, vet visits with outcomes, wts and length charts, all their pertinent information; like who I got them from, when, why, what their individual are likes and dislikes are. And I have a pic I keep of them. The hatchlings are pics from the egg to current. Once a year I add or update the pics of each tort along with wts and measures.

Nay thanks for bringing this topic to the forfront. For the loving care of our animals and loved ones that could be left behind.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
My girl, if she outlives me, and my future kids. I am still pretty young, so plenty of time to indoctrinate them into loving torts lol

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well, I guess I'm lucky...one out of 5 sons got my love of reptiles...He has a pond, and is the one that takes care of all my guys when I go away. I know he will take all of them in a minute....but...I will have to talk to him about all this. Food for thought here....good thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.