Kinda greusome subject, but important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi all, I have been wondering about this alittle, but a recent bad bout of menopause is prompting my thread.
What kind of arrangements, if any, are you doing with your torts in the event of your demise/sickness/etc?
I am not a youngster and my son is 14, and I cannot imagine him taking care of himself, never mind 3 RF's, a leopard and a recently found ornate, well she recently came out of hiding, I didn't find her.. Along with 2 large parrots that will also probably outlive me. I think actually one of the birds might actually end up with him, since he can pick it up and cuddle him(a cockatoo named Mavey) but the rest. I just don't know. I see Craigs list is filled with need homes and I want to write up a will and have them in it, but just not sure who would take care of them. My hubby would in the event I go first, but then what? We have no family that even likes animals.
I would love to hear thoughts, and advise..
Thanks Na

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really helps when you have family members, even extended family, who also like turtles and tortoises. In that case you can put in your will who you want the tortoises to go to.

If there is no extended family, the next best thing is to make sure you know if there's a turtle club or rescue in your area. Leaving the turtles and tortoises to a club or rescue means that they will go to someone who knows about their care and will give them the proper care (hopefully!). But don't leave it to chance, be sure to make a will and be specific about who gets the animals.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My adult kids promised they would take all our animals, but then they got married, had kids and moved in and out of different cities so I'm not relying on that plan anymore so I started a little trust fund for future care of mine. My suggestion would be to research different rehab/adoption centers chose one you like and include it in your will along with a trust fund or donation? There are several such types of foundations around for parrots and tortoises. It's necessary, but tough thinking about all of this stuff, isn't it? sigh.

M

Maggie Cummings

My adult son who is also the executor of my 'estate' thinks that he will take my bigger Sulcata Bob. But I don't approve of how he takes care of his animals. I am on numerous turtle and tortoise lists and forums and I have made many friends thru them. I have picked out one woman who has several large Sulcata already and also has many acres of land. She understands what is involved in taking care of large tortoises and I recently asked her if she would take Bob when I died and she agreed to take him. So I put her in my will to take Bob and my Hermanni. She lives in Alabama and frankly I am thrilled at the thought of him living with her and being able to be much more free and allowed to roam almost year round. It really has eased my mind since I talked to her. Now I am working on the rest of my animals, cats and the bird. I worry I might die before I find suitable homes for them. The cats and the bird especially. The chelonia won't care I'm dead and they are living with someone else, but to the cats and bird I am their person and they recognize me as their caretaker. In the past when I have left, the bird has stopped eating and the cats get freaked out. It will be very hard on Roxie my rescued kitty as she is afraid of anything and everything and she hides from everyone. So I know this is icky, but I hope she dies before me as it would be so much easier on her. My new kitten Max is a holy terror and would make the adjustment. I'm sure.
So that's me and I hope that has helped you...so make friends here on the forum. I'm sure Meg would take anything that is Mediterranean...:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When I die, I know my children and husband won't want most of the turtles. The cats, dogs, geese, ect.., will be able to remain in the home they now have with my husband and/or kids.

The kids joke about what will happen, when I die. They know the houses would go to any child who wants to live here. That's if Jeff, my husband is already gone or once he does die. They tease that their "inheritance" will be selling the tortoises. However, that's not true.

I have a list, that I update regularly, listing where each animal is to go. No animal has just one person listed just incase that person can't take the animal. Often, the first choise is back to the person I got them from. Others, such as the Hingebacks, I have named two people who keep/breed them and whom I approve of how they think and care for their animals. To them will fall the tasks of finding new and fitting homes for my groups. Homes where they will hopefully live out their individual potentials and reproduce.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi, I just checked back here and am suprised how fast responses came in. I am thinking ,Jacqui, you meant 'horses' up above. And I know what you mean about that. I also have horses , dogs cats and other shorter lived pets. They will be OK. A beautiful Black Arab will have no problem getting a home.maybe not exactly how I would handle him, and that worries me also, but I am working on a list for them.
And I also agree my hubby and son are not into them. They like them from afar, but to take over responsibility, no way. But to be quite honest I know NO ONE who has torts, except for the people here on this one forum I belong to. Is that sad? or what?
But good ideas, look into more groups and also have my username and password along with it, because my son or husband would not even know how to contact this group.
Thanks for the ideas, some things to work on.
Good Night, (or AM as the case may be)
Na

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Na the dreaded Menopause depression. :p Been there done that you need to replace the hormones you'll feel so much better when you do. Anyway, I think Yvonne gave you great advice on the rescues. I know how hard it is for us to take care of all these animals and then you look around and wonder, "what would they do if you weren't there?" In reality it will all work out, but for some reason we always put everything on ourselves like nobody else can handle it. I see Maggie's also has everything in order too bad I wanted Bob to come to Alhambra and visit, but I guess that's not going to happen. :p

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I've simply decided to out live my torts! I only have another 95 or so years to go!

On a more serious side, since it is a serious question! I could be acused of avoiding wills, but for no real reason. I just this year officially donated my organs in the event things don't go to plan! The reptiles....for now.....are under the discretion of my family who knows that I want the best for them. At 45 years old, I need to give this topic the attension it deserves.

On a tangent, do you also need to set aside funds for the care/shipping of your animals? A small tort going accross the country is less than $100! Bob going 2000 miles wont be.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nay said:
Hi, I just checked back here and am suprised how fast responses came in. I am thinking ,Jacqui, you meant 'horses' up above. And I know what you mean about that. I also have horses , dogs cats and other shorter lived pets. They will be OK. A beautiful Black Arab will have no problem getting a home.maybe not exactly how I would handle him, and that worries me also, but I am working on a list for them.
And I also agree my hubby and son are not into them. They like them from afar, but to take over responsibility, no way. But to be quite honest I know NOONE who has torts, except for the people here on this one forum I belong to. Is that sad? or what?
But good ideas, look into more groups and also have my username and password along with it, because my son or husband would not even know how to contact this group.
Thanks for the ideas, some things to work on.
Good Night, (or AM as the case may be)
Na

Nope, meant houses. We gave our horses to some folks with huge pastures who love horses, as I do tortoises. I own two very old and in bad repair houses, which we are living in one and hoping to remodel the other. Then the one we are living in will be used for the tortoises. Years ago, we had it the other way around.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I love how I was mentioned in the bottom of Maggie's post! :D I definitely would help out any fellow members here....If anyone wants to email/msg me, feel free. As a kid, my mom rescued animals as well. We had birds, dogs, cats, and various small mammals that we rehabilitated, and re-homed. The saddest case was a little Papillion mix (Minnie) that was thrown from a car. She smelt to high heaven when we stopped and got her and was afraid of everyone. The ordeal also messed with her internally, and gave her seizures. She took her phenobarbital every day, and we had a journal of times, and dates of her seizures. My mom instilled in me, that if you are capable of helping someone, or something, you should.

But really folks, I think we have a community here, and if any one of you fell on hard times, I would do everything in my power to help.

I personally, have drawn up a will for my animals. I have quite the brood now, and I don't think my boyfriend could handle all the responsibility. I think he would keep Nigel, and probably Anouk, but the rest.....I'm 19 and I worry about it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
A few years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer. Scared me to death. Then I had no pets but they gave me a 50% chance of lasting 5 years. I had surgery. Did 6 months of intense chemo that made me so sick I actually thought dieing would be easier. It took me about 2 years to recover from the Chemo then my dear daughter talked me into taking the runt of her dogs litter I wasn't too keen on the idea. Still figuring I would be gone in about 3 years.But most of my friends said I needed something to care for and come home to.Well I'm still here and its been over 9 years and I'm still cancer free. I tell this story because things can happen and happen fast. So as time has gone on and my dog family has grown by 1 and my torts family is till growing, well my daughter said she is planning on taking my torts and of course the dogs if I go before them. She currently has 4 RES and is my hatchling and dog sitter when I am away. But her kids are getting older and if they are out of the house her husbands job will allow them to travel lots for months on end. So I am currently rethinking the old plan. She doesn't know this yet. So if my grandkids are not stable and able to care for them. I figure I can talk with people on the forums and at my tort clubs as well as friends and if they are willing I will make a list with their contact numbers and name and which torts go to whom. Things can always change and in that case my daughter or grandchildren will be making the decisions for me. I too think it is a good idea to have more than one plan and a backup of a rescue, club or adoption center as a back up just incase.
But darn if I decide to change it I have to go and change that darn will I have now. :)
Na I tell you all this because Like others ladies on this forum I've been where you are now and trust me when I say things do have a way of working themselves out. Set up a plan you feel comfortable with now and as time moves forward you can always change things as you need too. Hope you feel better soon.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We just have the one tort baby. My fiance says he'd keep him if I died. We plan to make sure our future kid loves Trevor! Otherwise, we'd think of other plans. Lots of friends and family love him. It's all a matter of planning.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In my case my mom gets first pick if anything happens to me, the rest willl go to the C.T.T.C and if I live a long time with no kids who want them they will then also go to the C.T.T.C

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Meg, 19 and drawn up a will!!! Wow, at 19 I thought I was immortal, as most 19 yr olds seem to be, and in this day and age to see a young person have such a responsible attitude. Kudos for you.
Robyn,a Wow for you also. Keeping up that positive attitude is what gets you through stuff like that. And yes, totally agree with having another life to watch out for. Animals are so great.
Jacqui, oops sorry, houses in the plural, just seems hard for my brain to comprehend. Now I look at it and sure it makes some sense. and, I agree, it's kinda strange how much priorities change.
I really know things do really seem to work out,but on the other hand working at a vets, I just hear and see some pretty bad things. Worse it seems some familys are just not right, and then again some do their best to work out what the owner really wanted. Exotics (anything other than a dog/cat,) just seem to be so disposible to some, not that the poor dogs and cats don't seem to be either. I know my family knows the love I have and would do their best to accomidate my wishes, I am just not quite sure on what I can write down for 'my wishes'
Thanks again guys, for the support. I never in a million years felt I would ever have a connection with people on a phone line (insert a smiliey face here!) (Not quite sure how to do that yet!)
Na

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn, thank you so much for sharing this with us!

If something would happen to me, my fiance would take care of Hermy and if something would happen to my Fiance and me, my parents would take care of Hermy. I have one sister but she does not really like reptiles so I would never want Hermy at her place, she loves animals and she is super nice, but I do not think Hermy would receive the proper care with her. My fiance and I want one kid (after the wedding) and I really hope he is going to love Hermy as much as I do, because the best would be that my child take care of Hermy :)

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nay said:
Meg, 19 and drawn up a will!!! Wow, at 19 I thought I was immortal, as most 19 yr olds seem to be, and in this day and age to see a young person have such a responsible attitude. Kudos for you.
Robyn,a Wow for you also. Keeping up that positive attitude is what gets you through stuff like that. And yes, totally agree with having another life to watch out for. Animals are so great.
Jacqui, oops sorry, houses in the plural, just seems hard for my brain to comprehend. Now I look at it and sure it makes some sense. and, I agree, it's kinda strange how much priorities change.
I really know things do really seem to work out,but on the other hand working at a vets, I just hear and see some pretty bad things. Worse it seems some familys are just not right, and then again some do their best to work out what the owner really wanted. Exotics (anything other than a dog/cat,) just seem to be so disposible to some, not that the poor dogs and cats don't seem to be either. I know my family knows the love I have and would do their best to accomidate my wishes, I am just not quite sure on what I can write down for 'my wishes'
Thanks again guys, for the support. I never in a million years felt I would ever have a connection with people on a phone line (insert a smiliey face here!) (Not quite sure how to do that yet!)
Na

I'm a retired paralegal and have to say first the following isn't legal advice:)......However, you could do a google search for will language for bequeathing animals. An example: If you are writing your own will, just state in a separate paragraph that the care and possession or arrangement for the care and possession of your tortoises (describe them and any other animals you want to list) should go to (fill in the name). The next sentence: In the event (blank) cannot care and possession or arrange for their care and possession, then "the described tortoises" should go to (fill in the blank).

Following that you could put in a description of any trust fund or donation you would "bequeath" for the specific care of the described animals. Otherwise an attorney or paralegal that specializes in Wills could help you state your wishes.

I hope I didn't take you too literally by providing these suggestions. I know its a hard topic, but in case you really wanted an idea of what to write, wanted to help if I could.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
bettinge said:
Thanks for the advise Sandy! I would not have known that!

There are lots of websites about Wills and there are a few organizations that take such animals - some of those sites even provide the language to include in a Will, I just can't remember which ones.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks! I am definitely gonna reword what I have written. I want it to be sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.