*Kind of urgent* About enclosure heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
I made another thread about this but nobody is seeming to respond to it maybe because I worded stuff wrong im assuming but let me try to clarify it alittle bit more incase I confused some people =]!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The enclosure I had 3 days ago was a 50gallon tote bought for $20 at walmart with a 120wat heating bulb and it kept the enclosure 90degress high 80 low. although I moved down to I think a 90w bulb! and it kept it 80degree high and 70 degrees low!

But my friend bought a 80gallon tank from his work for $40 because they were getting rid of it and we cleaned it out and its bigger than what I had. and I moved upto a 150w bulb but itstill doesn't seem to want to keep the heat inside. When I put my hand down there it feels warm but the temp gage isn't reading it. and when I put my hand on the cool side it seems to cool. like 60. And I cant have the baby tort in there like that.

So I wondering if getting another heat lamp but a low watt bulb would be ok for the cool side?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hi, I use CHE's (ceramic heat emitters) on my cool sides. I also use plexiglas glass partial covers to try and keep moisture and heat in. Good luck hope this helps

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tort are we talking about? Yes you can use a regular bulb, not coil though. Also, putting a cover on 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure will also help keep in heat and humidity. Hope I answered your ?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
A little forum help. Don't bump your topic by reposting it. I'm not scolding you. Replying to your own posting to add information does help.

First thing's first.

How cold is the room that you need a 150W incubator lamp?

How warm is the spot directly under the lamp?

When your Torts are basking directly underneath then A, the lamp is too weak or B, the room is too cold. Usually it's A.

One of the most popular lamps to use is the Zoomed Powersun 100watt flood lights. It really helps provide proper UVB.

Keep it 12" off the basking rock with a rigid stand. Zoomed makes one. Buy the large one. No chance the lamp will fall onto the bark and start a fire.

Aquariums tends to keep the heat in and not provide enough air circulation.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
webskipper said:
A little forum help. Don't bump your topic by reposting it. I'm not scolding you. Replying to your own posting to add information does help.

First thing's first.

When your Torts are basking directly underneath then A, the lamp is too weak or B, the room is too cold. Usually it's A.

One of the most popular lamps to use is the Zoomed Powersun 100watt flood lights. It really helps provide proper UVB.

Keep it 12" off the basking rock with a rigid stand. Zoomed makes one. Buy the large one. No chance the lamp will fall onto the bark and start a fire.

Ok thanks and will remember not to repost the same topic sorry! Well I did try to edit it but it said no but I did not think to reply to my own thread =]. Because some forums don't allow you to reply to your topic until atleast one person replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And well I broke the temp gage alittle while ago by accident. So I need to buy a new one tomorrow. I put it up close near the lamp to test it and I was thining the dial in side was plastic it started to melt and ruin it. But I did close off the top alittle but more and it seem a lot better now. And actually my answer to your question to help you know where my enclosure stands. It would be B because my room is alittle cold becaue I heater don't work well in my room. My room is the coldest in the winter and the hottest during the summer! But humidity is not to much of a problem where I live. And the heat should work now because it feels likes its starting towarming up my room now!

turtlelover2495 said:
webskipper said:

First thing's first.

Ok thanks and will remember not to repost the same topic sorry! Well I did try to edit it but it said no but I did not think to reply to my own thread =]. Because some forums don't allow you to reply to your topic until atleast one person replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And well I broke the temp gage alittle while ago by accident. So I need to buy a new one tomorrow. I put it up close near the lamp to test it and I was thining the dial in side was plastic it started to melt and ruin it. But I did close off the top alittle but more and it seem a lot better now. And actually my answer to your question to help you know where my enclosure stands. It would be B because my room is alittle cold becaue I heater don't work well in my room. My room is the coldest in the winter and the hottest during the summer! But humidity is not to much of a problem where I live. And the heat should work now because it feels likes its starting towarming up my room now!
Yeah it worked closing off the other half. Its not completely closed off. But I tested it because it a foldable glass cover and while it has a very little portion of a un open area. And I test it. When the flap is closed its warm but when I open the flapp and fold it over it feels like it gets colder in there. So I have squared away the problem thanks guys. I will bump this post and keep it updated if this problem should arise again for some reason.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
can you post pictures? a picture really is worth a 1000 words. just a thought, this usually gives more responses, too.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
What's the species? Or am I just missing it somewhere?

I have a redfoot 5-6inches and now we have baby tort newborn! And here is the picture you asked for>
photo.php

i did make some changes to it. i will tell you what they are.
This morning i upgraded the i 90watt basking bulb with a 150watt infrared heat bulb. Now i just need to get a 150watt basking bulb.

I bought a better swimming pool for the tortoise so that the little one would not drown. My original bowl i had was much to big for the little tort. But the new one fits both sizes. and i replaced that white bowl with a smaller blue one so that both mine and the new born have access to the water dish. and i put 3 food bowls scattered around. But that is what my setup is like. And yes those are fake plants. the new born tryed to eat them, and he even tryed to eat the the thermostat and humidity meter =]. But soon found out it was not possible. the new one was blast the first day to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.