keeping torts warm?

chelslpn

its a high of 70 today in Florida... normal (or even warm) for everyone else ha but cold for us.. low of 48 last night. Its sunny outside but windy so it feels colder than 70... so I have my RT inside but its pretty chilly in here as well. His enclosure has an open top... any recommendations for keeping him warm? Those floor heaters I have seen at the pet store seem like a fire hazard... the heat lamp itself is already a big enough fire hazard for me.. I'm always worried it's going to fall lol... His temps are about 85 under the heat lamp, usually they're in the mid 90s. Is there a way to warm it up in there without another heater?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
We have very different heat needs here in WA, that is for sure. I use ceramic heat emitters, CHE, on a thermostat for night mostly. But also to maintain the ambient temperature of the whole enclosure. I put the probe on the cool side, and set it at 82F. For Russians I think a bit cooler. I also do not use the clamps on the fixtures, but hang them with chain.
Sounds like you could use a larger heat light or move it closer. The basking area should be 95F.

chelslpn

Ahh okay, thank you for the suggestions :) Its kind of a strange problem because its only temporary... his basking area is usually about 95 degrees and the cool side is in the 70s. He actually prefers the cooler side most of the time... which I don't blame him, we live in south Florida so it's almost always humid and hot, but I can usually control the humidity for him. I guess I can always lower his basking light until it gets warmer again in a day or two.. i'm thinking that's the best temporary fix without buying a higher wattage light we're rarely going to use right?

chelslpn

Just saw your response after I posted that, Tom. Sounds good to me.. I'm sure he'll appreciate it lol :)

chelslpn

Another question... I see there's a Mazuri tortoise diet and a Mazuri LS... seems like the LS is more for Russians but no one ever mentions that one in their posts. Does it really matter which one I get?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I prefer the regular Mazuri to the LS. The new LS does not soak and get mushy like the old stuff.