Keeping torts in cooler climates-MD

July

5 Year Member
Hi all. I have been reading various past posts on Burmese as I am thinking of getting a tortoise. I had two rescue red foots in the past. I built a 4x8 tort box in my basement, which isnt a liveable area- mostly damp and darker. But with heat and lights and plants they did well down there. I'm curious about these Burmese, especially if they are a bit more cold tolerant. Only as it would possibly allow me to keep them outside longer. Anyone want to share how they keep theirs over winter?
Thanks!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I bring mine inside when it gets into the high 50s. However I do know many others that do keep them outside year around. But much further south than where your at. They can tolerate the cold for sure. I don't like leaving them out below temps I mentioned. They definitely can stay out much longer than other species though.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Cold Tolerant. I here this terminology a lot about the Black Mt.Tortoise. I might have even said this myself. In Nature Manouria emys has a huge range from Nepal 30*L to Sumatra O*L or the Equator. This long North South range has Weather conditions about like N.Fl. to Cuba. The resulting weather similarities are that it is Mildly warm to Hot. HOT being the key word. A short period of time in the Winter season in the Northern range temps. can get as low of 32F. In the southern range where the subspecies emys emys or Brown Mt. tort. occurs does not have what we would call winter. In Burma there is a mild Winter and as everywhere it has its "colder than normal" years. (climate change without massive industry.) So, for the most part it is HOT HOT HOT ! So, whats up with this so called cold tolerant tortoise. For starters the love and live near water and at or around moderate Mountain ranges (only around 3,000 ft.) with a VERY high and thick triple canape. It is dark, damp, and cool like your basement. Of course the Northern sub s. is going to experiences some lower temps. The coolest I have seen recently in Borneo was 58F. NO ONE has studied the behavior of Manouria emys phayrei in Nature about what they do in the Winter in their most northern range and published it. We can all take this information and other facts about Manouria's range and apply it to their care in captivity. The most important thing to know is that captivity and Nature are parallel. You can get close but they will never touch or be the same as Nature in captivity. Sometimes "doing it naturally" would only be the animals demise. Keeping this magnificent beast in captivity is being in that micro space between the parallel lines,or between stability and chaos. Vic MorganDSCF1018.JPG

July

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, Vic. I just don't want to do them an injustice by trying to keep them here in a climate that they have to be indoors for the majority of the year. I have seen how much my red foots enjoyed the time outside in the garden that I had planted for them. Inside, they just seemed to be present and accounted for, but that was about it. Everything you have told me about their intelligence is a real plus in my mind. I want to make sure I am up for the task, as I don't tend to jump into husbandry situations lightly. I'm in for the duration.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, Vic. I just don't want to do them an injustice by trying to keep them here in a climate that they have to be indoors for the majority of the year. I have seen how much my red foots enjoyed the time outside in the garden that I had planted for them. Inside, they just seemed to be present and accounted for, but that was about it. Everything you have told me about their intelligence is a real plus in my mind. I want to make sure I am up for the task, as I don't tend to jump into husbandry situations lightly. I'm in for the duration.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Mr. Cold Climate concerned person, You will find the Black Mt.Tort. (BMT) will give you a good run for the money in a maybe not just right enclosure for winter. They wont be quite as depressed as redfoots. Of course while small they will be easy. As a decade comes around you'll have a hand full. (of poop that is) Your basement should work with the ceramic heat element. Also Hot air humidifiers work super fine if you dont mind green walls. Really they are the thing to use if you can. You can make ThailandDSCF1002.JPG weather with one. Maybe even partition off a section of the room with plastic. The good part is you should get another month at the beginning and end of your cold season. After one year of age mine stay out side down to "are you ready for it" 40F. Just the black mt.everyone and only overnight and if it warms up the next day. They also need mulch and heavy cover from a plant. Just dont let them get dry/breath dry air. Call or write anytime. Vic

turtlemanfla88

Vic,
Thank for the info. By the way just wanted you to know the babies we got in Daytona beach are chow hounds they eat everything I give them. What temp do you bring the browns in at?.

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I live in NE Ohio. I've had my group (4) of Mee's since early '09. They are outside 24/7 from the end of April/early May up until late Sept/early October. They are approx. 8yrs old now. I have two seperate rooms in my house that are dedicated to them. The rooms range from 72 - 78 degrees, with humidity kept at around 70 %. Let me just say that they absolutely thrive indoors! When outside, they might remain in the same spot for up to 2 days, and they bask in their watering holes sporadically. They frequently go a couple of days without the desire to eat or graze. Indoors? They want to eat every single day, and bask much more frequently in their water tubs. I can't enter their rooms without them trying to climb the walls of the enclosures to to see what I may be bringing them. The Winter months for me are when they have their major growth spurts. So, if you have the dedicated space and it's done right, you can absolutely do it successfully!

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
I live in NE Ohio. I've had my group (4) of Mee's since early '09. They are outside 24/7 from the end of April/early May up until late Sept/early October. They are approx. 8yrs old now. I have two seperate rooms in my house that are dedicated to them. The rooms range from 72 - 78 degrees, with humidity kept at around 70 %. Let me just say that they absolutely thrive indoors! When outside, they might remain in the same spot for up to 2 days, and they bask in their watering holes sporadically. They frequently go a couple of days without the desire to eat or graze. Indoors? They want to eat every single day, and bask much more frequently in their water tubs. I can't enter their rooms without them trying to climb the walls of the enclosures to to see what I may be bringing them. The Winter months for me are when they have their major growth spurts. So, if you have the dedicated space and it's done right, you can absolutely do it successfully!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!

I have to agree with Harris, my two emys emys are thriving inside. Very active, eating very well, and really enjoy the warmth of the CHE. When I brought them outside, they behaved the same way as above. Maybe that will change when they are older, but for now they love it inside.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
The adults have a hut with a heat mat so they kinda put themselves in. They are seen headed in at 50F. One year or younger 60ish. Vic