keeping start tortoise in air conditioned room

Status
Not open for further replies.

honghong

5 Year Member
Hi to everyone on this forum, im new here and i would to seek some advice regarding star tortoise care

For some unforseen reasons, i need to shift my star tortoise enclosure into my room. However, i always sleep with the air condition on at night and i set it to 23 degree celcius. the air condition will usually be on from 11pm to 7am. i was wondering if it is allright for the start tortoise to be kept in this condition?

some background:

size of tortoise enclosure: 3feetx2feetx11inch glass open top tank with MVB for heat and uvb.
star tortoise: should be one to one and a half years old
daytime room temperature and humidity: 31 degree celcius (generally); 70-80% humidity
night time room temperature and humidity (without air condition): 28~30 degree celcius; 70-80% humidity
night time room temperature and humidity (with air condition): 23 degree celcius; less than 30% humidity (might be 20% if i remembered correctly)

I was thinking if i add additional CHE directly above the hide where the star tortoise usually sleeps at night, and keep it on as long as the air condition is on, will that be ok for him? im concerned about the low humidity caused by the air condition, and also the change in temperature and humidity when the air condition is switched on and off. will the constant in temperature and humidity cause him to be sick?

Thanks and regards. :)

honghong

5 Year Member
honghong said:
Hi to everyone on this forum, im new here and i would to seek some advice regarding star tortoise care

For some unforseen reasons, i need to shift my star tortoise enclosure into my room. However, i always sleep with the air condition on at night and i set it to 23 degree celcius. the air condition will usually be on from 11pm to 7am. i was wondering if it is allright for the start tortoise to be kept in this condition?

some background:

size of tortoise enclosure: 3feetx2feetx11inch glass open top tank with MVB for heat and uvb.
star tortoise: should be one to one and a half years old
daytime room temperature and humidity: 31 degree celcius (generally); 70-80% humidity
night time room temperature and humidity (without air condition): 28~30 degree celcius; 70-80% humidity
night time room temperature and humidity (with air condition): 23 degree celcius; less than 30% humidity (might be 20% if i remembered correctly)

I was thinking if i add additional CHE directly above the hide where the star tortoise usually sleeps at night, and keep it on as long as the air condition is on, will that be ok for him? im concerned about the low humidity caused by the air condition, and also the change in temperature and humidity when the air condition is switched on and off. will the constant in temperature and humidity cause him to be sick?

Thanks and regards. :)

will the constant change in temperature and humidity cause the star tortoise to be sick* i mean.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Low night temps are one of the main causes of respiratory infections

I have sulcatas so I'm not to familiar with stars, but I would def be worried about infection. Can you use a couple Che's to keep the enclosure warm enough and cover the enclosure?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Can you set the thermostat slightly higher? Then, as already suggested, cover the top and add a thermostatically controlled Che to one end.

If your substrate is moist the covered top will allow the humidity inside to remain over 60 %.

Regarding the Che, it's important to allow the tortoise a choice of humidity and temperature levels. By using a thermostat control you prevent overheating.

If you use a deep substrate, the deeper he digs the more humid the substrate. I try to add water to my coco coir substrate one half of the enclosure at a time. It gives the tortoise a choice of moisture levels.

Good luck.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Only concern with a/c for me is cool drafts and dryness, close top will help with both, and ceramic heaters to help. If you can't avoid the a/c you gotta battle the a/c. Lol

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.