Keeping Juvenile Red Foots In An Aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
terryo said:
He uses a long tube plant light, but I only found a 10.0 long tube UVB so that is what I put on top on one side of the viv. When he was small and was in a 30 gal. I used a 5.0. This is on top of a screen.
Instead of sod, when don't you plant some spring mix. I just sprinkled it all over and in less than a week all the little sprouts cam up. Pio loved them. On his site (Terry K.) he doesn't advise a planted vivarium, but he isn't against them, so I don't know what he would say about the sod....Are you talking about an outdoor enclosure or an indoor one? This is what the Spring mix looks like when it comes in.
058-2.jpg

Wow, that's a great idea! Did you just plant it in the moss? My enclosure would be an indoor one until they got big enough to move outside.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Please note though Terry states that Pio does not eat the plants in the viv. the varigated vine like plant is a Pothos and is said to be toxic to torts.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No, I have never seen Pio eat the Pothos, but the only reason that I put them in there is because it said they were OK on this site:
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
I love this site for plants. It does say it is high in High in Oxalic Acid. Certain plants he won't go near...even in the outdoor pen.

"Wow, that's a great idea! Did you just plant it in the moss? My enclosure would be an indoor one until they got big enough to move outside. "

Inside I have soil under the moss, and I have planted the Spring Mix in the inside vivarium also.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry you are absolutely right that site lists it as plants that they can eat but are high in Oxalic Acid.

Several sites I visited stated they are edible in small quantities others said no.

Like this one.
http://www.gctts.org/node/332

So my thought is use at your own discretion, but know the possible problems.

They are more than likely listed on the toxic lists as they are so high in Oxalic Acid and the sap can be irritating. Also some torts are more susceptible to toxins than others. (just my personal thought and opinion)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks Robyn, we always need others opinions here. So far he just sits under it...not even a nibble. Maybe he knows. But he sure does eat those pansies. And also since he goes outside during the day, I think he comes in full and then goes right to bed. He has discovered worms and is always going in the compost side of the enclosure looking for them. As soon as I put him out he heads right for that side. He also is eating the little Spring mix sprouts that are coming up, and of course the dandelion. During the day when he is outside I don't bother feeding him. I have seen him nibble on a strawberry also frim the strawberry patch. He is going to be like a stuffed pepper at the end of the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.