Keeping Juvenile Red Foots In An Aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I was just wondering if anyone has kept their babies in aquariums before? I have a 100 gallon glass tank that has a slight crack in it and I'm not sure if I'd trust it to hold 800+ lbs. of water, so it seems like a better idea to use it for when I get some baby torts. I would probably put soil and grass on one side as well as make sure that I have a water dish and a humid hide for them (the average humidity here is +/- 70%). I also wouldn't use UVB lights as I'd set them up so that they could get some sun but not enough to overheat the entire tank and if anything I'd just set up a small light to only illuminate a small portion of the tank. Any thoughts, recommendations, etc.? Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help a newbie!

M

Maggie Cummings

Most experienced keepers tell you take you shouldn't use an aquarium to raise a tortoise...however I have raised numerous tortoises in aquariums. The air flow is restricted so you must be careful the tort doesn't get too hot. You cannot place the aquarium in the sun, even just a portion of it. And any sun that goes thru the glass will not have the UVB rays in it. So on an overall basis, you can use an aquarium but shouldn't.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
I say a 100gallon is alright if you keep an eye on all the temps, ect. Also i dont know how big your redfooted tortoise is but when it gets to big then you will have to move him out. I keep my leopard tortoises in a 50 gallon tank, its wider then most and never had a problem, I took the top off though and made it open on top, i also have 4 thermometers in there to keep an eye on temps through out. the cool end is 70s and the warmest area is 90-100. They are doing fine and no problems. Mine will go outsides though once temps do get higher outside, outsides is always the best, and when they get a little bigger tables are the 2nd best. Aquariums can work if done right.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
Most experienced keepers tell you take you shouldn't use an aquarium to raise a tortoise...however I have raised numerous tortoises in aquariums. The air flow is restricted so you must be careful the tort doesn't get too hot. You cannot place the aquarium in the sun, even just a portion of it. And any sun that goes thru the glass will not have the UVB rays in it. So on an overall basis, you can use an aquarium but shouldn't.

Interesting, so out of curiosity why do you use them? Convenience? So even if I have 1/5th of the tank in the sun that is still too much? I would probably set up a small fan for them to recirculate air so that the air doesn't get stale or full of mold. Should I then use a weak UVB lamp on one side of the tank? It's a perfect tank for this IMO and to be honest unless it is shot down by the masses, I will probably give it a go, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Millerlite said:
I say a 100gallon is alright if you keep an eye on all the temps, ect. Also i dont know how big your redfooted tortoise is but when it gets to big then you will have to move him out. I keep my leopard tortoises in a 50 gallon tank, its wider then most and never had a problem, I took the top off though and made it open on top, i also have 4 thermometers in there to keep an eye on temps through out. the cool end is 70s and the warmest area is 90-100. They are doing fine and no problems. Mine will go outsides though once temps do get higher outside, outsides is always the best, and when they get a little bigger tables are the 2nd best. Aquariums can work if done right.

They would all be yearlings or hatchlings so it should take them a little while to
get big enough to out grow the tank. I would also possibly set up a 55 gallon tank if it gets too crowded. My area has rats because it's a tropical place and and old home, so my major concern is protecting them from the rats until they are big enough to fend for them selves, then I'd move them outside. If this doesn't work I'd probably use a kiddy pool. However I like the idea of having them in an aquarium so that I can bond with them when they are young and get to watch them from various angles as well.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have my cherry head in a 75 gal. vivarium since he was a hatchling. He is 2 years old now. I put a screen top and made a hole on one side for a heat emitter and on the other side on top of the screen I put a 10.0 UVB tube light in a hood for a 10 gal. tank. I put the hide on the side with the heat emitter and the water dish in the middle. When he was small he always stayed on the hot side and now I notice that he is bigger he stays on the cooler side. I have lots of plants to keep in the humidity. I only water the plants every other day and sometimes mist ....mostly when he is out eating. I have tried so many different enclosures, but found that this holds the humidity better than any other. His growth is very smooth so far.

024-2.jpg

009-5.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Bryan said:
maggie3fan said:

Interesting, so out of curiosity why do you use them? Convenience? So even if I have 1/5th of the tank in the sun that is still too much? I would probably set up a small fan for them to recirculate air so that the air doesn't get stale or full of mold. Should I then use a weak UVB lamp on one side of the tank? It's a perfect tank for this IMO and to be honest unless it is shot down by the masses, I will probably give it a go, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used them for the same reason you will. I have large aquariums with cracks that won't hold water and I have many small tortoises that do quite well in that situation. I think they are easier to keep warm in the winter, and I was head-starting hatchlings for my sister and so I had numerous babies and needed the cheapest way to keep them warm. I like being able to look thru the glass to see them and I have never had one who thought he could climb thru the glass into the room. I have never had one who was stressed out by being in an aquarium. The only thing I would caution you against is the sun. The glass magnifies the heat of the sun and *conceivably* a small tort could get burned. Didn't you ever use a magnifying glass and the sun to start a fire? It works. So I would not have an aquarium in or near the sun. Suppose you have a baby who falls asleep in the warmth of the sun and is sleeping and groggy when the sun is burning it but sleepy groggy babies don't react well and might get burned. That's just a chance I wouldn't want to take...
EKKK!!! Rats??? Where do you live where you have rats? As I am writing this I realized that the field rats I am on a rampage to kill are rats, but they don't have access to my tortoises, 'cept maybe Bob...

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Thanks, that looks great! My issue isn't so much the humidity, but more along the lines of wanting to get to know them and watch them while being able to provide a great habitat. Using a 10 gallon lid is a great idea as the light is spread out over the area so that you can see them but they aren't blinded all day long by sun like lights.

terryo said:
I have my cherry head in a 75 gal. vivarium since he was a hatchling. He is 2 years old now. I put a screen top and made a hole on one side for a heat emitter and on the other side on top of the screen I put a 10.0 UVB tube light in a hood for a 10 gal. tank. I put the hide on the side with the heat emitter and the water dish in the middle. When he was small he always stayed on the hot side and now I notice that he is bigger he stays on the cooler side. I have lots of plants to keep in the humidity. I only water the plants every other day and sometimes mist ....mostly when he is out eating. I have tried so many different enclosures, but found that this holds the humidity better than any other. His growth is very smooth so far.

024-2.jpg

009-5.jpg

maggie3fan said:
Bryan said:
maggie3fan said:

I used them for the same reason you will. I have large aquariums with cracks that won't hold water and I have many small tortoises that do quite well in that situation. I think they are easier to keep warm in the winter, and I was head-starting hatchlings for my sister and so I had numerous babies and needed the cheapest way to keep them warm. I like being able to look thru the glass to see them and I have never had one who thought he could climb thru the glass into the room. I have never had one who was stressed out by being in an aquarium. The only thing I would caution you against is the sun. The glass magnifies the heat of the sun and *conceivably* a small tort could get burned. Didn't you ever use a magnifying glass and the sun to start a fire? It works. So I would not have an aquarium in or near the sun. Suppose you have a baby who falls asleep in the warmth of the sun and is sleeping and groggy when the sun is burning it but sleepy groggy babies don't react well and might get burned. That's just a chance I wouldn't want to take...
EKKK!!! Rats??? Where do you live where you have rats? As I am writing this I realized that the field rats I am on a rampage to kill are rats, but they don't have access to my tortoises, 'cept maybe Bob...

For sure re: the magnifying glass effect, however I could always add aquarium backing or simply tape something on the side of the tank if it is indeed too hot. Considering that in the summer here it hits the low 90's, it would be unbearable with another 10-20 degrees or more of concentrated sunlight. Perhaps it'd be best if I just closed the curtains in that room and opened them only in the very late afternoon to give them some direect sunlight. Of course in the winter months here it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue as the temps usually only hit the low 80's and the suns intensity doesn't seem nearly as strong.

As for the rats, I live in Hawaii and I am surrounded by old/abandoned plantation fields where everything is overgrown and there is TONS of food/housing for rats :( I would be LIVID if I found dead RF's because I didn't think of keeping the rats out.

BTW-Terryo, does your tort nibble on that variegated vine? I have those all over the place here and they are extremely hardy. Thanks!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Just a note that the tort doesn't get UVB through glass (aquarium or window), so any light would just be for light purposes. I think for rainforest torts like redfoots the vivarium can be great to hold in the humidity when used correctly with some ventilation (especially the ones that are not so tall). They like it pretty dark too so you may not have to worry too much about that. What about being able to keep the blinds open, but have some sort of backing on the viv to block the glass on the sides facing the window? More than just a paper border I think as the heat will radiate, but some sort of furnishings would probably work.

Make sure you keep a close eye on the heating in the enclosure as the temperatures change with the season. If it's so warm all the time, do you even provide much supplemental heating? If it gets in the 90s in your house, you may even need to cool then down a bit or keep it extra moist. I really like the laser infrared thermometers (I have the PE1 which was only $25) for quick temperature checks.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
tortoisenerd said:
Just a note that the tort doesn't get UVB through glass (aquarium or window), so any light would just be for light purposes. I think for rainforest torts like redfoots the vivarium can be great to hold in the humidity when used correctly with some ventilation (especially the ones that are not so tall). They like it pretty dark too so you may not have to worry too much about that. What about being able to keep the blinds open, but have some sort of backing on the viv to block the glass on the sides facing the window? More than just a paper border I think as the heat will radiate, but some sort of furnishings would probably work.

Make sure you keep a close eye on the heating in the enclosure as the temperatures change with the season. If it's so warm all the time, do you even provide much supplemental heating? If it gets in the 90s in your house, you may even need to cool then down a bit or keep it extra moist. I really like the laser infrared thermometers (I have the PE1 which was only $25) for quick temperature checks.

I've yet to get my RF's so I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row. I doubt that I will need a heater except for the 10-20 coolest nights of winter when the temp drops below 60 degrees. If I do get a UVB bulb, how long would I need it to be on to get them their proper dosage of UVB? I could probably set up some sort of a sun blocker for the sides facing the sun. It could be a towel, or virtually anything that would keep the direct sunlight out. I know that by using thick and dark curtains it drastically cuts out direct sunlight. I'll have to play with it when I get it in place in a week or 2 and see what works best, lots of great ideas from everyone though!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
the uvb light should be on 12-14hrs a day for a day and night cycle. i never had a problem with over heating in my tank, mine has a cool end and warm end and it works perfect for my young ones which are only 4-5months old and 2inch big. I just have a wire rack for the lamp to sit on the rest is open on top, no screen or anything, makes it easier for me as i can just stick my hand in and clean the dishes ect, also helps me control some heat. Again if done right its not a bad way to go and a 100gallon tank is plenty big enough for younger redfooted tortoiess.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
I solved the air flow issue in my 75gal aquarium/terrarium with some crap I had lying around.

Took a 9v dc power supply (The kind that charge your cell, or electric razor, etc...) cut the connector portion off, stripped and tinned the leads. Grabbed an old 12v 120mm computer fan, and soldered the leads from the 9v power supply directly into the fan connector.
Dropped the fan down into the terrarium on top of the large cold side hide. Been working great since.

I used 9v so the fan would run a tad slower, just enough to push air, and remain silent. Most people never notice the fan in there since it's sorta crammed in behind a fake fern.

Keeps the air temp nice and uniform, gets rid of those nasty hotspots, and mold seems to be a thing of the past.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Neohippy said:
I solved the air flow issue in my 75gal aquarium/terrarium with some crap I had lying around.

Took a 9v dc power supply (The kind that charge your cell, or electric razor, etc...) cut the connector portion off, stripped and tinned the leads. Grabbed an old 12v 120mm computer fan, and soldered the leads from the 9v power supply directly into the fan connector.
Dropped the fan down into the terrarium on top of the large cold side hide. Been working great since.

I used 9v so the fan would run a tad slower, just enough to push air, and remain silent. Most people never notice the fan in there since it's sorta crammed in behind a fake fern.

Keeps the air temp nice and uniform, gets rid of those nasty hotspots, and mold seems to be a thing of the past.

Great idea! I guess I should start looking for an old cel phone charger :D

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Neohippy said:

Great, informative post :)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
JustAnja said:
Neohippy said:

What kind of substrate should I use? I was thinking of having some Bermuda grass in there for them to munch on and also give them a natural habitat. Would 1/2 Bermuda and 1/2 moss work? How often have you had to clean the substrate? Would I have to take out the sod and clean it once in awhile or just replace the moss side? Thanks!

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Bryan said:
JustAnja said:
Neohippy said:

What kind of substrate should I use? I was thinking of having some Bermuda grass in there for them to munch on and also give them a natural habitat. Would 1/2 Bermuda and 1/2 moss work? How often have you had to clean the substrate? Would I have to take out the sod and clean it once in awhile or just replace the moss side? Thanks!

I'm using long fiber sphagnum moss that was purchased at my local geenhouse for a substrate. Love the stuff, it's nice and clean and holds alot of moisture. However I'm using it in a sweaterbox setup not an aquarium.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
There are as many ways to care for a redfoot as there are those that keep them and post a "Caresheet" on how to. Unfortunately [ for the redfoot tortoise ] none of these "Caresheet" publishers show the results of how their hatchlings look as a result of keeping them the way they say.

As a result I have to ask: Is that really a good idea or smart to go on these [ 'opinions'? .. that is if opinions are not based on long term results/facts ] methods.

If keeping redfoots for 10+ years [ since 12/98 ] is considered long term results.. and you want yours to grow to look like this [ hatched 5/05 ]..

1SONshineJR2.jpg

.. and 5/09..

DSC029312.jpg

.. then you may want to follow how I've raised redfoots. [ links in signature ] If you choose not to.. that's entirely up to you.. and you may not get the same results: healthy, 'smooth-shelled' redfoot.

TerryO has chosen to follow the "basic" principles on how to care for redfoot tortoises - starting with an aquarium. The plants do what they do to help retain humidity and proper "air-flow"! She does not need to have her Viv./aquarium near the window for light.. because she has a light source "FOR THE PLANTS" not her redfoot. Her Pio: lives in one of the best examples of how to set-up a Viv./aquarium .. and looks as good [ or better ] as any I've seen captive raised!

Hope this helps...

Terry

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
There are as many ways to care for a redfoot as there are those that keep them and post a "Caresheet" on how to. Unfortunately [ for the redfoot tortoise ] none of these "Caresheet" publishers show the results of how their hatchlings look as a result of keeping them the way they say.

As a result I have to ask: Is that really a good idea or smart to go on these [ 'opinions'? .. that is if opinions are not based on long term results/facts ] methods.

If keeping redfoots for 10+ years [ since 12/98 ] is considered long term results.. and you want yours to grow to look like this [ hatched 5/05 ]..

1SONshineJR2.jpg

.. and 5/09..

DSC029312.jpg

.. then you may want to follow how I've raised redfoots. [ links in signature ] If you choose not to.. that's entirely up to you.. and you may not get the same results: healthy, 'smooth-shelled' redfoot.

TerryO has chosen to follow the "basic" principles on how to care for redfoot tortoises - starting with an aquarium. The plants do what they do to help retain humidity and proper "air-flow"! She does not need to have her Viv./aquarium near the window for light.. because she has a light source "FOR THE PLANTS" not her redfoot. Her Pio: lives in one of the best examples of how to set-up a Viv./aquarium .. and looks as good [ or better ] as any I've seen captive raised!

Hope this helps...

Terry

Thanks for chiming in Terry, I know that it may not be the ideal situation and I may still decide to build a tortoise table instead, however if I'm in a pinch for the first few months or if it seems to be working well, I may try to give it a shot. Your results cannot be questioned as you have beautiful animals and tried and true methods of growing these torts into beautiful adults. What type of a light source would I set up for the plants? I know that you are not a fan of UVB bulbs at all and because of this I am very leery of using them. If I do stick with this idea, what would you recommend for lighting? This is also directed to Terry-O as she has obviously done a great job of meshing your care methods with the vivarium to keep a happy and healthy Pio.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

I have followed this care sheet exactly, for two years....with the exception of plants in a glass vivarium. The long tube light on one side and heat emitter on the other side. Followed the feeding....I also spray him until he is WET when he comes out to eat. Every other care sheet to me was just too complicated. This one is so easy, and even has pictures to show the exact amout of food. This is my first tortoise, and I did a year of reasearch before I got him, so I wanted everything to be easy. He really does't bother too much with the plants...just interested in his food. Although he does love pansies. I also keep him in my living room, so there is lots of interacting ONLY WHEN HE COMES OUT HIMSELF TO EAT. I never take him out of the vivarium...only to check him over. Hope all this helps

Bryan

10 Year Member!
terryo said:
http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

I have followed this care sheet exactly, for two years....with the exception of plants in a glass vivarium. The long tube light on one side and heat emitter on the other side. Followed the feeding....I also spray him until he is WET when he comes out to eat. Every other care sheet to me was just too complicated. This one is so easy, and even has pictures to show the exact amout of food. This is my first tortoise, and I did a year of reasearch before I got him, so I wanted everything to be easy. He really does't bother too much with the plants...just interested in his food. Although he does love pansies. I also keep him in my living room, so there is lots of interacting ONLY WHEN HE COMES OUT HIMSELF TO EAT. I never take him out of the vivarium...only to check him over. Hope all this helps

Thanks a lot terryo, do you use an aquarium light fixture for the plants or a type specifically for plants? I was thinking of having some sod on one side of the terrarium or maybe the entire thing. I live in a warm enough climate that I figured that sod wouldn't need to be changed and it would give the little torts additional food for grazing. What are your thoughts or Terry's on that subject?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
He uses a long tube plant light, but I only found a 10.0 long tube UVB so that is what I put on top on one side of the viv. When he was small and was in a 30 gal. I used a 5.0. This is on top of a screen.
Instead of sod, when don't you plant some spring mix. I just sprinkled it all over and in less than a week all the little sprouts cam up. Pio loved them. On his site (Terry K.) he doesn't advise a planted vivarium, but he isn't against them, so I don't know what he would say about the sod....Are you talking about an outdoor enclosure or an indoor one? This is what the Spring mix looks like when it comes in.
058-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.