Keeping it warm I need an expert!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I have not seen the new enclosure reach even 90 degrees the best I have managed is 82! I upgraded one of the lights because I have more room for a warm side with two basking spots and my cool side is about room temp but I have my 45 watt mini flood still in and that worked fine in the old enclosure but I havnt seen that spot hit higher than 79 it still her choice of light though to sit under she is far more active in the new enclosure and eating well could my digital therm be off? What am I doing wrong?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are the lights too high up? Post a pic of the enclosure, this may help us too help you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You may have to cover or partially cover the table.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I have pics posted in my thread labeled she's all moved in. I can repost pics but not until I get home in about an hour or so. Yvonne I'm not sure how I will cover it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is for a Russian, right? From the pics, in your other thread, it looks like the one light in the black dome, could be lowered quite a bit. I would lower it a little and in about an hour, check the temps and lower a little more if needed. The 79 could be lowered to about 75 and then it can go down to 68-70 at night. Russians don't need it really hot. My Russians day temps vary from 68, 72, 76 and then the basking spot.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Most of my enclosure varies the same as you mentioned I just haven't gotten that basking temp up which is my biggest concern....I have about 2 hours before the lights go out I will lower it down now and check back in an hour and let you know what I got. I'm going to lower the flood though. Right? that one should give me the best heat?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, which ever the one is that you are using for the basking area. Btw, 90-95 is good.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
If I can get it up to 95 will she spend less time basking? I was up to 89 before she moved the therm. What is the best way to secure the thermometer at shell level? It's 85 at substrate level directly below the light right now I will lower the lights some more tomorrow and see if I can hit 90 at the substrate.

Thanks for the advice

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Do you have a temperature gun?

Also, I use clear shower curtains from the dollar store for covering my wooden box-type enclosure. It makes a big difference in temps.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
No temp gun, I really should get one though but in her old enclosure I didn't really need it I guess that's moved up on the necessity list now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a thermometer at top shell level, but then I use a temp gun to read the ground level. If the ground level is 89 then the shell level is most likely good. I would put something under the light the height of your tort and set the thermostat on that and see how high it goes. My Russian does not bask a lot. So, if yours does, then maybe raise over all temp up a little. My lowest temps are at night only when all the other heat and lights in the shed is off and he only has a CHE on him.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
She didn't bask a lot before but I've noticed her basking time has increased since the move. To the contrary she is also moving more. Before she sat still a lot just not necessarily under the light. Now she takes a stroll and explores nibbles a bit then lands herself right back in baskingville. After a full hour I did hit 89 at the substrate I will let it be for now and see what difference that increase makes for her. Thanks for all the great advice I will work on getting that therm set at shell level though. In the tub I suctioned it to the side but no suction on wood and the light sits away from the sides more.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
IMO, anyone who keeps any reptiles needs a temp gun! Get one, you'll never be without it again.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I will get a temp gun can you recommend a good one? Also the lights in the enclosure come on about 15-20 min before I come down in the morning and in that time basking was already up to 80 I am headed home on lunch to check in hopefully I'm up to 90 like it was last night just before the lights went out.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I like the Pro Exotics temp guns which is what I use. There are others that people use and like that you can get at RadioShack I believe.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Thanks and the pro exotics is reasonably priced too. Looks like I'm getting a new gadget this weekend! :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's really fun actually. You'll find yourself measuring the surface temps of everything in your house...lol.