Kang and Rue

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
So today it was Kang's second soak. The kids gave him his name. It, I must admit is very different soaking two hatchlings compared to only one.
Kang is definitely a climber as you can see in the photo. And so very different in character than Rue. Can I soak them together in one water bowl or should I carry on doing as I did in the below pics?20180326_185821.jpg20180326_185805.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hey Carol. Where do you get the second baby from ????
Congrats and they are both cute.
Do they live together ?
Hi Sabine,
Scooby-doo found the second baby and was about to use it as a chew toy, when I rescued it. No they are not living together, I have the baby in it's own enclosure, and this weekend I will need to go and get a CHE to keep it warmer for him, as it is getting colder here at night. At the moment I have him in a big tub with coco coir and a heat lamp, a water bowl, stone for him to eat on, and some plants for him to hide under and or graze on if he wants to.

Bee62

Germany
Hi Sabine,
Scooby-doo found the second baby and was about to use it as a chew toy, when I rescued it. No they are not living together, I have the baby in it's own enclosure, and this weekend I will need to go and get a CHE to keep it warmer for him, as it is getting colder here at night. At the moment I have him in a big tub with coco coir and a heat lamp, a water bowl, stone for him to eat on, and some plants for him to hide under and or graze on if he wants to.
Wow. Good that you found the baby before scooby doo used it as a chew toy. They are both so cute !
I would put them together.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Wow. Good that you found the baby before scooby doo used it as a chew toy. They are both so cute !
I would put them together.
Wait... I are you saying that I can house them together? It would be easier on my pocket, but I am worried about Rue possibly bullying Kang. Lol I have only realised just how big Rue has actually grown now that I can compare Rue with Kang.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Wait... I are you saying that I can house them together? It would be easier on my pocket, but I am worried about Rue possibly bullying Kang. Lol I have only realised just how big Rue has actually grown now that I can compare Rue with Kang.
I wouldn't. Rue could possibly bully or just stress little kang. While it would be easier for you, I would do what would probably keep the torts less stressed.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I wouldn't. Rue could possibly bully or just stress little kang. While it would be easier for you, I would do what would probably keep the torts less stressed.
That is what I thought as well. Maybe Sabine is just talking about the soaking part. Although I think soaking them in their own tube like I did last night should be fine.

Sterant

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Albany, NY
Soaking them together is fine - just keep an eye that the little one doesn't flip over in the water. Housing them separately would be ideal if you can.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
So today it was Kang's second soak. The kids gave him his name. It, I must admit is very different soaking two hatchlings compared to only one.
Kang is definitely a climber as you can see in the photo. And so very different in character than Rue. Can I soak them together in one water bowl or should I carry on doing as I did in the below pics?View attachment 234283View attachment 234284

Omg!!!!! Beautiful???? What are they? The baby with white all around is striking. They are both gorgeous! Angulata????

Bee62

Germany
Your enclosure is big and has many hides and plants. I think the torts can live together but I don`t want to break rules ....
When you watch them close you will see if there is any bullying going on or not. Have two feeding places and two basking spots and two water bowls and I think they will be fine.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Quick update.
Rue was 122g yesterday and Kang was 50g. Rue poops in her soak 99% of the time. I have however yet to see a poop from Kang. How long for a new hatchling before they start pooping? I can't compare it to Rue as I wasn't as aware of her pooping when I first found her. I hadn't gotten that info yet and wasn't on the TFO at the time. Kang's enclosure, will be adding extensions next month. Kang is only 4cm so I figured it would do for at least this month. Hmmm I need to take a photo during the day as well. Will post it later after I get home.20180331_230549.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Quick update.
Rue was 122g yesterday and Kang was 50g. Rue poops in her soak 99% of the time. I have however yet to see a poop from Kang. How long for a new hatchling before they start pooping? I can't compare it to Rue as I wasn't as aware of her pooping when I first found her. I hadn't gotten that info yet and wasn't on the TFO at the time. Kang's enclosure, will be adding extensions next month. Kang is only 4cm so I figured it would do for at least this month. Hmmm I need to take a photo during the day as well. Will post it later after I get home.View attachment 235024
Forgot to take a pic once I got home. But you can see it here. 20180403_192350.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh my gosh, Carol!!! I LOVE that idea. How easy to make a closed chamber out of a plastic bin. What did you use for the clear front panel and how did you attach it?
Thank you Yvonne [emoji1] . The front panel is perspex and I attached it with Duct tape. Lol. A reall DIY job. The plan is too add more bins made the same way with tunnels to attach them.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh my gosh, Carol!!! I LOVE that idea. How easy to make a closed chamber out of a plastic bin. What did you use for the clear front panel and how did you attach it?
I also attached the Uvb tube to a plank of wood which I glued to the lid and taped with duct tape as well. And then covered with tinfoil.