Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Sharing more photo's because I can't resist.
Rue for the first time today let me scratch her head, in fact she even stretched her head out more. Clark also allowed me to scratch her head. Kang however still pulls his head in. View attachment 236099View attachment 236100View attachment 236101View attachment 236102View attachment 236103View attachment 236104

They are so absolutely ADORABLE!!!! You may not have the time like I have with just 2 babies, if you keep finding new babies[emoji38] but I’ve been bathing my two every day since I got them almost 3 yrs ago as little 2” hatchlings. I’d take them out of their hides to put them in front of their food, pick them up, handled them, rub coco oil on their shells and soft parts every week... and by now they are so tame, never pull into their shells and love their heads/necks petted. Shellie (my big girl, just weighed her last nite 6.5 lbs and 11”!!!!) has always seemed to enjoy the coco oil massage all over, except for her tail. It’s been only recently that she doesn’t pull it to the side&in when I try to touch/look at it, but head, arms and legs she gently pushes against my hand of soft brush when i at times use to clean her scales. Tucker (this same age, only about 1lb and 1” b hind his House Sister, always been smaller and growing at this same steady rate) likes the shell/head rub/scratch, doesn’t mind if arms, but didn’t like his legs (hind limbs) messed with, and - forget about even looking at his tail! That’s until just recently, last couple weekends (that’s when they get the thorough clean up in bath, full body exam under good light and and coconut oil rub down) I noticed him not trying to pull his little legs out of my (so ever gentle) grip... it’s been this way for couple of weeks now... I’m happy!!! I have always wanted for my torties to be tame and used to human touch, if for no other reason, to make their medical encounters less traumatic for them and our herp vet[emoji6] They are all different and I swear they all have their own personalities. Shellie has aleays been the bold one, since day one! Tucker was the shy one and still takes longer to warm up. At this point my torts would probably be stressed if they didn’t get touched/handled one day. I’m still trying to figure out how this will work out when they live in their garden full time. This summer we are going to build their heated house. I’ll miss that part of our daily routine of checking the temps outside, bringing them outside, then back in at sunset, and daily bath... i know, daily bath may be an overkill for 6 lbs tortoise, but I say : it doesn’t hurt. Enjoy those little Angulated beauties and please keep those pictures coming! Love them!

Salspi

Chicago
The way I see it, I am just doing my part in making sure the Angulata in my area don't become extinct. Besides they are such cute little guys.

Carol, this is the best reason to keep and try to breed these little guys. It’s the exact reason why I decided to get a pair of Kleinmanni. All humans do is take from the earth. You are a great person!

Salspi

Chicago
Well the group is getting bigger. Another little one hatched today. But this time I had a cage over the area where I knew there was an egg. I am going to have to come up with a new name. It rained the day before so I was especially looking to see if any new eggs had hatched.View attachment 236498View attachment 236499View attachment 236500View attachment 236501View attachment 236502View attachment 236503

I love this enclosure.... it looks like it’s open top but I see suction cups on glass. Is the whole thing an enclosed glass vivarium?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
They are so absolutely ADORABLE!!!! You may not have the time like I have with just 2 babies, if you keep finding new babies[emoji38] but I’ve been bathing my two every day since I got them almost 3 yrs ago as little 2” hatchlings. I’d take them out of their hides to put them in front of their food, pick them up, handled them, rub coco oil on their shells and soft parts every week... and by now they are so tame, never pull into their shells and love their heads/necks petted. Shellie (my big girl, just weighed her last nite 6.5 lbs and 11”!!!!) has always seemed to enjoy the coco oil massage all over, except for her tail. It’s been only recently that she doesn’t pull it to the side&in when I try to touch/look at it, but head, arms and legs she gently pushes against my hand of soft brush when i at times use to clean her scales. Tucker (this same age, only about 1lb and 1” b hind his House Sister, always been smaller and growing at this same steady rate) likes the shell/head rub/scratch, doesn’t mind if arms, but didn’t like his legs (hind limbs) messed with, and - forget about even looking at his tail! That’s until just recently, last couple weekends (that’s when they get the thorough clean up in bath, full body exam under good light and and coconut oil rub down) I noticed him not trying to pull his little legs out of my (so ever gentle) grip... it’s been this way for couple of weeks now... I’m happy!!! I have always wanted for my torties to be tame and used to human touch, if for no other reason, to make their medical encounters less traumatic for them and our herp vet[emoji6] They are all different and I swear they all have their own personalities. Shellie has aleays been the bold one, since day one! Tucker was the shy one and still takes longer to warm up. At this point my torts would probably be stressed if they didn’t get touched/handled one day. I’m still trying to figure out how this will work out when they live in their garden full time. This summer we are going to build their heated house. I’ll miss that part of our daily routine of checking the temps outside, bringing them outside, then back in at sunset, and daily bath... i know, daily bath may be an overkill for 6 lbs tortoise, but I say : it doesn’t hurt. Enjoy those little Angulated beauties and please keep those pictures coming! Love them!
Thanks Pearly. I also bath my babies everyday. Rue will be a year old on the 31st of May. And she has taken a long time to be comfortable. Clark who is the 3rd baby when i first put her in the enclosure she would bury herself and I would need to turn the enclosure upside down to find her. Now she is comfortable enough to sleep under the airplant and no longer needs to bury herself. Now the new little one also buries herself completely. Hopefully she does not take too long to feel comfortable and will stop feeling the need to completely bury herself. But yes I understand your point to handle them much more.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Carol, this is the best reason to keep and try to breed these little guys. It’s the exact reason why I decided to get a pair of Kleinmanni. All humans do is take from the earth. You are a great person!
I love this enclosure.... it looks like it’s open top but I see suction cups on glass. Is the whole thing an enclosed glass vivarium?
Hi Salspi.

Yes it is an enclosed vivarium. It does have a mesh strip at the top but I have covered it with tin foil.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Evening All.
Looking at Kangs, Clarks and Harry's weights i cannot believe how well they are doing. When I look at Rue's weights, it took Rue 5 months to pick up 12 g which is what Harry has achieved in 6 days. Granted Rue started at 10g but I am still astounded at the difference between the weights for Rue compared to the other three. I can quite clearly see what the difference this forum and the care advise I have received from here has done.
I will post the pics of each torts weights so you can see for yourself. But up until October last year (Which is when I joined) I was looking after Rue just going on what I had researched and or was figuring out for myself. But if I look at how well Kang, Clark and Harry are doing (with the advantage that I know what I am doing now) I can very definitly see how much your advice and answers to FAQ has made.
Below are each torts stats. I will post the stats in order of age. Their birth dates (or the dates i found them are at the top under their name. Rue has three pages though)20180426_202601.jpg20180426_202609.jpg20180426_202617.jpg20180426_202635.jpg20180426_204800.jpg20180426_202711.jpg

Bee62

Germany

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi Carol, your babies are absolutely beautiful ! :tort::<3: Each one looks different to another.:)
They are so cute ! Please post more pics of them.:):<3::<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:
Thank you Sabine. Just for you and because I love posting pictures of my babies. Tomorrow if it is a sunny day I will get some photo's of outside time and will post them.