Kale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Island_of_Misfit_Toys

5 Year Member
In all my reading I have found split opinions on whether kale is acceptable or not, so I would really like to know what the general consensus is here. I am in Minnesota, and it is already getting difficult to find a decent variety of greens, so I can only imagine what the coming months will bring.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Kale is alright as part of a varied diet.....I would not feed any one item as a staple, switch it up a bit. Also, keep in mind that if your tortoise has access to natural weeds and grass grazing for the tortoise season months and then has to be supplemented during winter months then that is also balance...so if you need to switch to more grocery items during some parts of the year to other times of the year...then you have to pick from your best choices.... :D

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Don't forget that there is a huge variety of fall squash available this time of year!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Kale and the other brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, etc.) are fine in a varied, balanced diet.

Kale itself is a bit light in calcium, but has a good ratio of calcium to phosphorous (2.4:1), and it is loaded with many important vitamins. It is low in iodine, as are many of the brassicas, but that can be overcome by offering some multi-vitamin, kelp, egg, or oily fish (depending on the species dietary needs)

Island_of_Misfit_Toys

5 Year Member
I definitely strive for variety. She will have a 4'x6' grazing area in her enclosure available to her at all times, but we are just starting construction on that project now. I was just curious because I've read some care sheets that say to never feed kale, and some that have it listed as an approved selection. I know it is one of the few readily available greens stocked around here, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything harmful. I usually get two different types of greens a week and alternate them every day, then get two different types the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.