Calcium

Kimberlie

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, USA
My tort will not eat the food sprinkled with calcium! Will a Cuttle bone or block be enough? He is getting both red and green kale mixed with other greens, tortoise pellets a shred or two of carrot, and a little broccoli. We are in a small town so getting other greens in the winter is difficult.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you have a good variety (or feed Mazuri, etc), supplementing calcium beyond the cuttlebone is probably unnecessary.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with above. However, you could also add some spinach, small amount, like once or twice a month if you feel the cuttle bone is not being used. As for the powder, only a samll pinch a couple times a week is all that's needed for young ones. Most put too much one and the torts won't eat out. Too much calcium is as bad as too little.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kimberlie
I don't use cuddle bone , I run egg shells through a coffee grinder after I drive the eggshells for 24-48 hours . I have been doing this for 15 years . Oh please don't drive the the eggshells but do dry them . Good luck !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tort will not eat the food sprinkled with calcium! Will a Cuttle bone or block be enough? He is getting both red and green kale mixed with other greens, tortoise pellets a shred or two of carrot, and a little broccoli. We are in a small town so getting other greens in the winter is difficult.

You are probably using too much calcium. All you need is a tiny little pinch and it should be mixed in thoroughly. You only need it a couple of times a week.

Kale carrot and broccoli are okay in small amounts once in a while, but they are not good staples. Your should favor endive, escarole, spring mix, and add in lots of other things for variety. Look for turnip greens, mustard and collard greens, cilantro, italian dandelions, water cress, carrot and celery tops, and many more.

Kimberlie

Iowa, USA
Thanks, everyone! I found some collard greens and other things mentioned above at a store about 45 minutes from here. As long as it lasts a good while I should be able to keep him in good supply. It's just too bad I can't find them a little closer!