Just thought to get an opinion (Cherryhead/Northern)

Ehaley

Hello all, I have had Matillda here for about ten years now. I had picked this tort up (with that slight pyramiding) when it was about two years old from a swap here in Illinois.
Now it makes no difference to me since he/she is a family member but two questions. I picked it up as a Northern Redfoot but in 12 years of living it has
only gotten about 12 inches in length.
Retain loads of red on the face,
Has the enlarged red elbow scale on both legs
No wasping of the waist.
when a bit dryer has white grow lines but that can just be me.
but only has a slightly dark blotch on the plastron. Which is also slightly concaved but just barely and as you see from the photo looks to be a male but left alone in the yard will try and dig a nest out ha
I have read that some females pick up male traits in captivity as I have no plans on breeding I am fine with him/her and the fact that he can now use whatever bathroom he likes.

So verdict? Small Northern? Regular Cherry?
and do you think he is a male or female. The curvature of these anal scutes has made a lot of guesses from friends and the vet over the years. I said male years back but now??? ha

Again as Matillda is a family member and never being parted with I am just curious as to your opinions.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 51
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 46
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 50
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 49
  • w.jpg
    w.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 49
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 50
  • y.jpg
    y.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 49
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I have no idea! But he looks happy! :D

I am new to tortoises...and am guessing...just to see if I'm right...I think Matilda is a male.

Ehaley

I thought the same and had plenty of people who agreed, but the nest digging and the new info on females behaving like males makes me second guess myself ha

Reactions: Rue

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello all, I have had Matillda here for about ten years now. I had picked this tort up (with that slight pyramiding) when it was about two years old from a swap here in Illinois.
Now it makes no difference to me since he/she is a family member but two questions. I picked it up as a Northern Redfoot but in 12 years of living it has
only gotten about 12 inches in length.
Retain loads of red on the face,
Has the enlarged red elbow scale on both legs
No wasping of the waist.
when a bit dryer has white grow lines but that can just be me.
but only has a slightly dark blotch on the plastron. Which is also slightly concaved but just barely and as you see from the photo looks to be a male but left alone in the yard will try and dig a nest out ha
I have read that some females pick up male traits in captivity as I have no plans on breeding I am fine with him/her and the fact that he can now use whatever bathroom he likes.

So verdict? Small Northern? Regular Cherry?
and do you think he is a male or female. The curvature of these anal scutes has made a lot of guesses from friends and the vet over the years. I said male years back but now??? ha

Again as Matillda is a family member and never being parted with I am just curious as to your opinions.

Beautiful colors.

I'm saying northern female, I aint good enough to give specific locality yet:(. But I'm saying Guyana.

@tortadise @cdmay @N2TORTS What you guys reckon. Also do the entire northern population have various head colors. Or is there some localities that are just yellow on the heads.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm guessing northern female as well. From what I understand, 12 to 14 inches is normal.

Ehaley

I named her Matillda and we call her Tilldozer , but when she turned 6 the vet said she was a he. I maintained he was a female. Then friends and the vet kept saying he so I just bit the bullet and started saying he ha. Then last check up vet said female. I figure by the end of all your input I will just tally it all up and call him transgender.

Ehaley

Matillda tattooed on me as well as my Boa Harry who died last year after 36 years living with me. Got him as a neonate when I worked at the local petshop. I only have long term captives but just became a foster parent to a new redfoot this last weekend. Photos to come. The tattoo isn't finished. I will eventually have palm fronds and all three of my tree frogs hidden amongst the foliage.

Attachments

• 20160518_233441~2.jpg
    20160518_233441~2.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20160518_233505~2.jpg
    20160518_233505~2.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 19

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Just for comparison, this is a male.