Just picked up my first Hermann's Tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilmama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tacoma, Wa
Hello everyone, I am new to tortoises. I have experience with bearded dragons and crested geckos. My husband has ball pythons so I am new to the whole tortoise world. I went to a reptile show last weekend here in Washington with my family and was surprised by my husband with my cute little Hermann's tortoise whom I have named Geisha. If anyone has any hints on how to keep them happy or a great diet please feel free to let me know. I currently feed her grass from the yard and she loves clovers along with one dandelion a day, but I want to make sure I am doing right with my baby.

geisha.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Color me jealous. I love the hermanns, but don't have any yet.

We have a weed and plant ID section here on the forum. Browse through there and see if any look familiar. More variety is good. You can also grow your own spineless opuntia cactus, grape leaves, mulberry tree leaves, rose, hibiscus and rose of sharon, leaves and flowers, gazanias. The list goes on and on...

Nothing wrong with spring mix or Santa Barbara Mix for some variety too.

I love that you have her outside in the sunshine. Tortoises NEED sunshine. Be careful though as they can disappear pretty easily. There are lots of ideas for safe outdoor enclosures in the enclosure section.

Good luck and have fun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lilmama:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome Congrats On The New Family Member, Grass Is Fine!
Dandelions Are Great, Along With Cactus and Spring Mix They Are All Good For Tortoises :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome and congrats! Grass isn't commonly a favorite for tort species like Hermanns, so thats great your little one likes it. Keep increasing the variety with safe chemical free (no pesticides or fertilizers in the last year) weeds, greens, lettuces, flowers, etc. There are some great seed mixes online you can get to scatter in an enclosure. In addition, you can plant seeds for almost any fruit or veggie for the tort to eat the leaves (except the nightshade family, such as tomato), greens like turnip/mustard/collard/radish, kale, frisee, arugula, endive, lettuces, etc. For the hatchlings, UVB from the sun and/or a good Mercury Vapor bulb, daily calcium, and moisture/humidity are very important. Its my opinion to get a vet check up with fecal test for parasites for the peace of mind. Even captive bred torts can have high parasite loads from their mother, shared housing, etc. That way you have one established for emergencies too. The more info you give us (or enclosure pictures) and the more advice we can help you with. :) Good luck!

Lilmama

5 Year Member
Tacoma, Wa
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. Color me jealous. I love the hermanns, but don't have any yet.

We have a weed and plant ID section here on the forum. Browse through there and see if any look familiar. More variety is good. You can also grow your own spineless opuntia cactus, grape leaves, mulberry tree leaves, rose, hibiscus and rose of sharon, leaves and flowers, gazanias. The list goes on and on...

Nothing wrong with spring mix or Santa Barbara Mix for some variety too.

I love that you have her outside in the sunshine. Tortoises NEED sunshine. Be careful though as they can disappear pretty easily. There are lots of ideas for safe outdoor enclosures in the enclosure section.

Good luck and have fun.

Yeah she really loves being outdoors with us. Since she is just a baby, we bought the garden fence stuff to make her a outside play pen so that she can not escape. I want to thank you on the food tips. I have been doing alot of research on Hermann's and along with what you have told me I have learned alot about my baby and the proper care for her.

emysemys said:
Hi Lilmama:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Thank you! My name is Amber and I am currently living in Tacoma, Wa. I am hoping to get back south closer to home soon though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.