Just found a tortoise while wattering my grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aa_ezra

5 Year Member
Hello, i'm not totally new to reptiles. or pets in general i have 4 conures and a senegal parrot along with some fresh water fish.

The problem is i have no idea what type it is. I know it's not a turtle by its shell and feet. It looks like a Red footed turtle but the shell doesen't quite fit.

Anbody have a clue as to what type it is. He is very active but does have some damage to his shell in the front and rear quarters

thank you
J

Ps: if you guys need a better shot let me know

I added more pictures didn't realize the first one was crummy. He and orange/red

Attachments

• MR turtle.JPG
    MR turtle.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 108
  • MR t one.JPG
    MR t one.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Mr t Two.JPG
    Mr t Two.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 62
  • MR t shell.JPG
    MR t shell.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 59

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, I believe you have found a box turtle and it looks pretty good..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I agree with the above and also wonder where you are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well then it seems like you've found someone's lost pet. Hopefully you'll be able to find the owner.

M

Maggie Cummings

Call the local Vets offices and tell them you've found a 3-toed box turtle and put up a couple of signs in your neighborhood announce you've found a box turtle but don't be too descriptive so you can find the true owner as some people will try to convince you that they are the owners when they actually aren't. If you can't find the owner and you don't want to keep it there is a turtle and tortoise rescue up in Clovis. She's on here as emysemys. She'll be glad to help you...

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum, looks like a box toirtise!
Ask around your neighbors to see if they lost it,

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No such thing as a "Box tortoise" ;) It is a Box "turtle."

Looks like a 30+ year old male Three Toed to me. Probably someone's lost pet. If you can't find his owner, he would make a great pet for you too if you are able to care for him.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Kristina,
What give away his age to you? Just curious, not questioning.
(I wouldn't have a clue)Thanks Nay

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Concur...box turtle. Welcome to the forum. I often see lost tortoise/turtle postings on Craiglist where people put up they they lost one or that they found one and it will read: "found tortoise call/e-mail and give description."

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would just post turtle on the signs or ads. Don't give out too much info. Hopefuuly he will find his home, but in the mean time or in case he doesn't please read the turtle section so you can give him the proper care.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would just post turtle on the signs or ads. Don't give out too much info. Hopefuuly he will find his home, but in the mean time or in case he doesn't please read the turtle section so you can give him the proper care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi aa_ezra:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Are you in the Bakersfield area?

That is a very pretty male terrapene carolina triunguis. The damage is probably from a dog chewing on it. They aren't native to California, so it is someone's escaped pet.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yep, looks like somebody's three-toed box turtle. They are native to the central- and southeastern-US, not California, so he probably escaped from somebody's yard and ended up in yours. Makes sense you found him while watering your grass, because that simulates the conditions they naturally like: morning and evening rains. I found my boxie one spring when he came out of hibernation and starting frolicking around the sprinklers. :) If nobody claims him, you've got a very nice specimen there for a pet. Plenty of good resources out there if you want to read up on it. In a nutshell, they are omnivorous, and need some fruit, vegetables, and live prey in their diet. Give them plenty of room, a place with some heat and humidity, and some time outdoors, and they will do great!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Welcome to the forum. Sound advice from previous posters so I'll just say he's very pretty.. alert. Nice!

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.