Just checking that im doing it right. A couple concerns

Momagn36

Location (City and/or State)
Christiansburg VA Blue Ridge Mountians
I'd like to add that a 40 gallon tank isn't nearly as big enough for a Russian tort. You should look to either building or buying an enclosure thats at least 8 feet by 4 feet.
I intend to build an outdoor enclosure for her in time. I must make it covered with some sort of fence as we have MANY large predator birds here in the Blue ridge mountains. I am looking into options.

daniellenc

Maryland
I don't see any abnormality with her shell, but if you work on improving temps and humidity it should continue to grow smoothly.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I agree completely with Tom. Don't use sand or soil as a substrate. It is easily ingested accidentally and can cause impaction of the gut. Again, I am telling you this from painful personal experience. I once loaned an adult male Ploughshare Tortoise, yes, a real, live Geochelone yniphora, to the Bronx Zoo and they kept him in an enclosure with a sand substrate. Even though the tortoises were fed on trays, much of the food was pushed off the trays while the tortoises were feeding and then eaten directly off the sand. Nine months later, my beautiful G. yniphora died from a necrotic intestine which had been caused by a 6" x 2" x 2" brick of hard sand blocking it and cutting off the circulation. This was an irreplaceable tortoise.

Here is his photo taken in June 1976.

View attachment 216781

Wow. Can't even imagine. Thanks for sharing, Bill. Valuable experience

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok, so ill fix issues noted so far and update on Saturday. No one has answered my shell concern yet so maybe ill post that in new thread all by itself.

I am not certain if I am seeing the areas you called "divets". Do you mean the couple of areas where the scutes appear to be chipped at the edges? Those look like the possible result of the tortoise being kept too dry for a rather prolonged period of time to me.

Momagn36

Ok so I moved her tank away from all air conditioners. Added a flat rock under basking light and a terra cotta water dish. The rest has to wait for payday Friday. Will update with new temps in a bit after it has time to settle. (tank looks so small in pics but its like 4ft long)

Attachments

• tank new.jpg
    tank new.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

Momagn36

I am not certain if I am seeing the areas you called "divets". Do you mean the couple of areas where the scutes appear to be chipped at the edges? Those look like the possible result of the tortoise being kept too dry for a rather prolonged period of time to me.
yes there are a couple small places that look like holes (no white stuff in them). I am working on humidity. It was at 62%. changed area shes in. So ill update later on what new environment measures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're referring to the indentations on the black portions of the scutes? Those are normal patterns from when she was a hatchling. It is nothing to worry about. All Russian tortoises have those.

Momagn36

I think you're referring to the indentations on the black portions of the scutes? Those are normal patterns from when she was a hatchling. It is nothing to worry about. All Russian tortoises have those.
Thank you, I will keep an eye on them to be sure they don't grow but for now I'm satisfied that shes ok, although maybe a bit dry as it seems I was not soaking her enough. I let her out in house yesterday and she pooped 10 times in my floor then 3 times in her bath. Goodness! my dog doesn't go that much lol.

Momagn36

Switched the red heat bulb (that the pet store sold me) out for a flood bulb. Now have 88 degrees at basking rock and 75 on cool end of tank. Problem is, humidity dove to 47%. Getting frustrated but hope new substrate on Saturday will raise humidity.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
I would recommend against letting your Russian walk around your house. Its cold on the floor, plus there's so much risk in regards to them eating anything or getting hair stuck around their limbs. It could be why she pooped so much, she could've been scared. Keep it up though! Its hard at first, but becomes easy once you have the correct setup :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My baby seems to be doing well. Her name is Kiah. But I'm slightly concerned about her shell. I know the white spaces are growth and that excites me but she seems to have some divets (cant think of another word to describe them) in places that concern me a bit. I currently feed Kale, butternut squash, dandelion greens, radish, brussell sprouts. I sprinkle calcium twice a week. Her enclosure is 40 gal tank with screen lid and a UV light / Heat lamp. I take her outside almost daily to roam and soak her twice a week.

View attachment 216769 View attachment 216770 View attachment 216771
Oh.....he/she is gorgeous! GOD bless.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Momagn36

Is this what I want?? Its the only Orchid bark I can find in my area so far. I can find Cedar mulch but Orchid is rough. I live in the boondocks.

Attachments

• bark 1.PNG
    bark 1.PNG
    592.3 KB · Views: 9
  • bark 2.PNG
    bark 2.PNG
    532.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Aww that stinks because she loves them. Had one stuck on her face the other day and looked like a clown with a big red nose. Ill use for treats every so often but stop adding to regular diet.

I am sure they are delicious to her but they really are not something her body is built to eat.

If you are going to give it as a treat, it should be vereeeee limited. Like one every few months.

I'd suggest cucumber or squash instead. They are fruits as well, so they aren't "regular" foods, but they have less sugar than tomatoes.

She will love them just as much. :)

Momagn36

I am sure they are delicious to her but they really are not something her body is built to eat.

If you are going to give it as a treat, it should be vereeeee limited. Like one every few months.

I'd suggest cucumber or squash instead. They are fruits as well, so they aren't "regular" foods, but they have less sugar than tomatoes.

She will love them just as much. :)
She LOVES butternut squash.....its a fruit? how am I 48 yrs old and not know that. Ugh, I'm feeding her all wrong too. Kroger here I come.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
She LOVES butternut squash.....its a fruit? how am I 48 yrs old and not know that. Ugh, I'm feeding her all wrong too. Kroger here I come.

Yeah, sorry! Don't worry. NO ONE ever knows it's a fruit.

Squash has some other vitamins in it that are good and a little fiber so a "good" occasional food. It's also good for constipation--just in case that's ever an issue.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I've not been online this week so maybe this has already been answered elsewhere but if you are looking for good diet options, here are a bunch. (Are you feeding her the actual radish or the leaves? She should only have the leaves.)

Most of this info was put together by very experienced members of this forum. It's a ton of reading, for now you will probably want to focus on the section about grocery store foods that is under the first two links; I bolded the parts that mentions type of grocery store greens that are most recommended.

If you haven't already read it, check the Russian care sheet, it has a section on food near the bottom: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/.

There is another great list for foods that was written for another type of tortoise but if you skip the first bit about grass, all the foods below it are great for your Russian: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/.

You may need to rely on grocery store foods for now. Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned.

The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales."

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Nasturtium
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil