Doing it right this time

PastMistakes

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi Guys!!

So, I had a sulcata baby for about 3 years. I got him/her on a whim and very much learned as I went, but I think I finally had a nice set up for him. I used a 3x5 rabbit cage and covered the top part with clear plastic to keep it warm and humid, used coco coir for substrate, he was fed grass, dandilions, etc... He was growing and doing great. This summer we've had GREAT outdoor weather for the little guy so I had a dog- exercise pen set up for him outside where I would put him during the day (and always brought him in before dark). Well a few weeks ago the worst happened.... he managed to burrow under the pen and escaped. My yard is not fenced in, and despite my boyfriend, his sister, and me looking for him for hours and hours, we've been unable to find him. I know these little guys can power walk, so I can do nothing but assume he's long gone.

I feel terrible. Like the worst owner ever. But, my boyfriend has encouraged me that while it was a mistake, I've very much learned my lesson, and I think I would like to add another little one to our family.

I have this week off work and I plan to use it to set up the perfect little home for my new guy/gal... I've read and read and re-read your starters sheet and will post an update when I get this project finished... but for now the bigger question... getting one from a good breeder!! I've been doing some research, but I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with these guys, and whether or not they start their torts well... (I'm getting a "regular", not an Ivory, an Ivory isn't in the budget for me right now)

https://ballandstortoiseranch.com

I'm also open to suggestions! I know some users on here breed, and if anyone has some babies available I would love to talk to you some more too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've never heard of Balland's. You want to ask anyone you're considering buying from how their babies are started. You want a baby that has been started in monsoon-like conditions. If they're started hot and dry, keep looking.