Just brought my new guy home yesterday.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep bark on top coir on bottom. The coir won't mold and holds moisture well. The bark will give air space which will help to keep bark dry and the RF dry

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Hi and congrats on your new tort! Redfoots are cool :) Do you have any pictures of your tort and enclosure?

To keep temps and humidity up, you will need a closed chamber type enclosure, so replace the mesh for something else. You will also need a dark heat source (CHE) with a thermostate, to keep the temps constant. You can change the height of the lights and the wattage. CHE's should give sparks if used correct, in a ceramic socket for high wattage lights.

I use coco coir myself, and some spaghnum moss in the hides. I don't use a fogger, just pour water in a corner. This makes sure the top layer stays dry (to prevent shell rot) and the humidity stays up.

I use a cuttlebone and my tort loves it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you found the caresheet for Redfoots yet? That will tell you all about diet temps humidity and substrate etc. The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid some potential problems and the Enclosures thread has some great ideas. There's lots of Redfoot keepers here who can help point you in the right direction.

sarah w.

Do you think I could glue a sponge to the top of the clay pot that he hides in to help humidity ? If so is there a specific sponge or adhesive I can use?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do you think I could glue a sponge to the top of the clay pot that he hides in to help humidity ? If so is there a specific sponge or adhesive I can use?
You would be better off making you mesh lid a solid lid to keep humidity in, even if you just put tinfoil over the mesh it will help massively. Also pile up your spaghnum moss so your tort can get lost in the pile. Your tort will want to sleep in it and absorb the humidity in its carapace. Just make sure your moss is not dripping wet through.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I forgot to mention, I always soak my spagnhum in boiling water before I use it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Sarah and welcome from Texas! If you have time to look at my enclosure thread maybe you can get some ideas there. You struggle with the exact dilemma I did last year. You'll sort it out, I'm sure

sarah w.

Hi Sarah and welcome from Texas! If you have time to look at my enclosure thread maybe you can get some ideas there. You struggle with the exact dilemma I did last year. You'll sort it out, I'm sure

I just went and bought reflectix

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How about a full plastic fish aquarium hood/top? In the case of your 75 gallon, two 24" tops with two 18" florescent lights.
It would make your 75 gallon into a tropical closed chamber and you could pop your 5.0 tubes into the fixture.
I don't use any other heat source and my enclosure stays between 79 and 88 degrees and humidity hovers around 77-90%.