Just bought one :D

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
The mesh will filter out a large portion of your UV. It will also prevent you from raising or lowering your bulb to get the correct basking temp under the bulb.
I was afraid of the uv being filtered :(

Thanks for conformation!

AMA904

Cypress mulch is a popular substrate choice from what I've read. I'm going to be getting a Hermann's in a couple of months and my indoor and outdoor enclosure will both be cypress. It's very cheap for me in a Florida, but I know it's a lot more expensive in other parts of the country.

Flipper

MO, USA
Cypress mulch is a popular substrate choice from what I've read. I'm going to be getting a Hermann's in a couple of months and my indoor and outdoor enclosure will both be cypress. It's very cheap for me in a Florida, but I know it's a lot more expensive in other parts of the country.
Thank you :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Flipper

MO, USA

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I just saw this thread now, so I apologize for not chiming in but I have little time. It''s nesting season here and I'm in the midst of wedding plans so you can imagine what's going on inside my head right now, I'm sure. ;)

Tom is right about the sand. Being this is your first tortoise, don't use it if you are not 100% comfortable with it. It is not going to "make it" or "break it" for the animal. I do everything as natural as possible here which means yes, we use sand. And after years of hatching and raising some crazy number of them I have never had a single one become impacted, not one. BUT that does not mean it won't happen to you. Impaction caused by sand and other substrates is a very REAL problem and does happen. I spend almost 24 hours a day with the tortoises in our collection, I see a lot of what they do. I know the daily activity patterns of every single individual. BUT most people cannot do that who do not do this full time. It's better to be safe than sorry so play it safe. Ditch the sand. Just because I do it, doesn't mean it's going to work for you. The aspen thing is outdated. Yes my humidity is higher here so that helps, but the stuff is simply too dry. In recent years we've all come to realize that these animals need higher humidity and hydration levels than what we were once told. Using a proper substrate is going to help greatly. I prefer mercury vapor bulbs for indoor use but in the summer, every single one of my animals, regardless of age is put outside to be subjected to the sun, the elements and nature (minus the predators of course!). I can't think of what else to add at the moment, but you can't go wrong talking to the people on here. You are of course going to get multiple opinions because as already stated, what works for one may not work for the other. This is the stuff I try to cover on hermannihaven.com. Of course a lot of that is aimed at outdoor keeping but you get the point I'm sure. Be open, be willing, listen, chime in, voice your opinion and get ready to LEARN....a lot! It's a wonderful community to be a part of and everyone is trying to help. If someone puts you down for what you're doing, move on from them. No time for petty stuff, you just want to find out the method that BEST suits you and your tortoise. Outside the basic rules of general "do's and don'ts" it's a wide open world of "gettin' yer learn on." In the end, the tortoises are the ones who teach us.

Good luck and we will be in touch when we get set up to ship this lil thang to ya next week!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Chris is totally right (as usual!). You can and should prepare as much as possible, but so much of this is learning as you go. Everyone told me this when I first started and I didn't believe them (there had to be ONE right way!)...but it's all about learning your torts habits, your environment, your enclosure and adapting to it all.

On a side note, just to confuse you more, I like coco-coir (eco earth) for my hermanns baby.

You made a great choice in breeders. Best of luck!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
what you mean by hand pact?

Pour in what you "think" is going to be enough (I would be sure to make the substrate at least 5-6 inches deep....so, once you pour the substrate in....then smooth it out as evenly as possible...at one end begin to take your hand and flatly lay it on the substrate and press slowly and firmly down....continue to do this through out the entire enclosure.....then you will see that you will need to add another pour and continue to so this until you reach the depth you would like....then if you are going to add water ( would suggest this in the hottest side of the enclosure) do so very slowly and be patient...and progressively continue adding the water (warm water is the best) section by section until you have done so where you want the humidity to spike at.....remember it will TAKE 44444EEEVVVVEEEERRR for it to initially absorb in....so not to worry, it will :D

Flipper

MO, USA
I just saw this thread now, so I apologize for not chiming in but I have little time. It''s nesting season here and I'm in the midst of wedding plans so you can imagine what's going on inside my head right now, I'm sure. ;)

Tom is right about the sand. Being this is your first tortoise, don't use it if you are not 100% comfortable with it. It is not going to "make it" or "break it" for the animal. I do everything as natural as possible here which means yes, we use sand. And after years of hatching and raising some crazy number of them I have never had a single one become impacted, not one. BUT that does not mean it won't happen to you. Impaction caused by sand and other substrates is a very REAL problem and does happen. I spend almost 24 hours a day with the tortoises in our collection, I see a lot of what they do. I know the daily activity patterns of every single individual. BUT most people cannot do that who do not do this full time. It's better to be safe than sorry so play it safe. Ditch the sand. Just because I do it, doesn't mean it's going to work for you. The aspen thing is outdated. Yes my humidity is higher here so that helps, but the stuff is simply too dry. In recent years we've all come to realize that these animals need higher humidity and hydration levels than what we were once told. Using a proper substrate is going to help greatly. I prefer mercury vapor bulbs for indoor use but in the summer, every single one of my animals, regardless of age is put outside to be subjected to the sun, the elements and nature (minus the predators of course!). I can't think of what else to add at the moment, but you can't go wrong talking to the people on here. You are of course going to get multiple opinions because as already stated, what works for one may not work for the other. This is the stuff I try to cover on hermannihaven.com. Of course a lot of that is aimed at outdoor keeping but you get the point I'm sure. Be open, be willing, listen, chime in, voice your opinion and get ready to LEARN....a lot! It's a wonderful community to be a part of and everyone is trying to help. If someone puts you down for what you're doing, move on from them. No time for petty stuff, you just want to find out the method that BEST suits you and your tortoise. Outside the basic rules of general "do's and don'ts" it's a wide open world of "gettin' yer learn on." In the end, the tortoises are the ones who teach us.

Good luck and we will be in touch when we get set up to ship this lil thang to ya next week!
Thanks for saying this Chris! I did not want to go against what you recommended, but I'm scared to use sand from all the stories I've heard in the short time I've been on this forum :eek:

I will be sure to take opinions with a grain of salt ;)

Happy Wedding!

Flipper

MO, USA
Chris is totally right (as usual!). You can and should prepare as much as possible, but so much of this is learning as you go. Everyone told me this when I first started and I didn't believe them (there had to be ONE right way!)...but it's all about learning your torts habits, your environment, your enclosure and adapting to it all.

On a side note, just to confuse you more, I like coco-coir (eco earth) for my hermanns baby.

You made a great choice in breeders. Best of luck!
Thanks for the reassurance :) the coco coir seems like good stuff.

Flipper

MO, USA
Pour in what you "think" is going to be enough (I would be sure to make the substrate at least 5-6 inches deep....so, once you pour the substrate in....then smooth it out as evenly as possible...at one end begin to take your hand and flatly lay it on the substrate and press slowly and firmly down....continue to do this through out the entire enclosure.....then you will see that you will need to add another pour and continue to so this until you reach the depth you would like....then if you are going to add water ( would suggest this in the hottest side of the enclosure) do so very slowly and be patient...and progressively continue adding the water (warm water is the best) section by section until you have done so where you want the humidity to spike at.....remember it will TAKE 44444EEEVVVVEEEERRR for it to initially absorb in....so not to worry, it will :D
Thanks for the step by step! I appreciate the break down :)

Flipper

MO, USA
Make sure you post some pictures when the tortoise arrives :)
Of coarse :) I'll probably start a new thread!

Since I'm getting a baby and won't know the gender, do you all think it's silly to give a girly name to my tortoise that I don't know the gender of?! Lol!

Such decisions, right! :)

AMA904

How old is the tortoise you are getting? I thought his Dalmatian's were 2012-2013. I think you should name it whatever you like. You can always modify it later.

Flipper

MO, USA
How old is the tortoise you are getting? I thought his Dalmatian's were 2012-2013. I think you should name it whatever you like. You can always modify it later.
I'm getting one of the late 2013 ones. I'm still debating the name :p

Flipper

MO, USA
Names I'm tossing around :)

Tallula
Juno
Daphne
Rex
Jeter

The last 2 are my boy options ;)