Just been given a tortoise,need advice

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
Last night 2 boys came to the door and asked if i wanted a tortoise as their mother has had a ******** and its got to go,so I immediately said yes ,was then informed that it was a shermans ,so didn't know whether to expect a hermanns or a tank lol,well anyway the mother turned up a couple of hours ago with the tort which thankfully was a hermannsnot a tank,It is a 9 year old male who appears to be in quite good condition.it had been the grandmothers but she died last year and the grandaughter inherited it.and just couldn't cope with it.
Tortoise came in a cardboard box filled with wood chippings and that was it,no papers or lights or anything,I,m in the process of making a temporary table thats 3 foot square (tort is 8 x 6 inches approx) but i have no lights so will he be ok without them until i can get some on Monday,at the moment he's fast asleep in an old dogs basket in front of the fire

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He seems in a bit of a strange shape, but I spose that's to be expected from reading his story. I like that they thought of giving you the tortoise rather than trying to make some money off it. Good job!

You can just use a regular incandescent bulb for heat until you can buy the correct bulb. Any chance he can go outside?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It is in a very nice color but just like Yvonne said it is a very odd shape. You would show us more picture of him/her?? Please...

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
He was out for about 10 minutes earlier,then it started raining,but hopefully he will be able to go out for a couple of hours tomorrow.
He's really friendly and not nervous at all,so i don't think he's been mistreated ,he does seem kind of flat but as I,ve got Greek spur thighs and a Russian I have never taken much notice of Hermanns

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Great save he has beautiful color :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
He was out for about 10 minutes earlier,then it started raining,but hopefully he will be able to go out for a couple of hours tomorrow.
He's really friendly and not nervous at all,so i don't think he's been mistreated ,he does seem kind of flat but as I,ve got Greek spur thighs and a Russian I have never taken much notice of Hermanns

For what he already went through.....He said: I saw it all.