Tortoise Behavior! Need Advice!

CoreyOros

Location (City and/or State)
Girard, Ohio
I just need some advise. I have a roughly 2-3 year old Hermanns Tortoise. Have had her a year and a half. Her behavioral patterns are pretty routine. Gets up. She basks early, eats her greens some, takes a nap, and thats usually on repeat till she hits the hay around 8pm. But the past week or 2. She seems to be very antsy. Constantly tearing up her enclosure. Dragging her food all over. Digging and constantly trying to escape. Which today. I was gone for most of the day, to come home to find that she actually succeeded in her escape! (She’s safe and sound)

She has never escaped. Never really tried to escape. She’s pretty calm and easy going. I know it’s time to upgrade her enclosure. She has a 3ft x 7ft enclosure that I’m currently setting up. I’m just wondering if that could the problem with her behavior. Is she just ready for something bigger and better Or could it be something dealing with her health? I’m just curious if anyone has dealt or is dealing with something similar please give me advise.

I do have a vet appointment next week to get her beak trimmed. And a routine wellness check.

Thank you!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
It's time to build the larger setup!

She just needs some more space to explore. Don't worry this is a good problem to have and is an easy fix. I'd be more worried if she wasn't eating/active.

Also, build the walls high. We wouldn't want your gal to escape again.

Best,

Thomas

CoreyOros

Girard, Ohio
That’s what I was thinking! Like I said, I actually have a new enclosure for her, I’m currently setting it up, really trying to make it realistic, excluding multiple hides, basking spots and more places to explore. She some how climbed on top of her hide, crawled into the hanging plants and plopped right on out. Thankfully I have her enclosure on the floor so she didn’t have a far fall lol

tortoisekev

UK
I've found that Kevin has become a bit more boisterous in his enclosure recently (last couple of months), creating a mess and climbing over everything.

I have literally just found him having climbed on top of his large plant pot hide (which is place on its side), then half pull/half fall down the other side. Thankfully this time I watched him pull himself right, but there have been a few times that he's climbed up a wall or over a log and toppled upside-down, from which he can't right himself. I can make an effort to remove or move items that he could fall off or tip on, but if he's climbing up the wall and toppling over there's not much I can do there!

I'm building a new indoor enclosure later this year and hope to have him outside for some of the summer months (the few we get in the UK).