Was given a tortoise, know nothing about them, HELP!

sdcadigan331

Location (City and/or State)
Upton KY
We were just given a tortoise from someone on a job my husband was working on. I have no idea what kind it is or how to care for it. It came with a 10-gallon fish tank, and some lights. But it doesn't seem like the little thing is getting enough of what it needs in this tank. It seems sick to me. I have seen it eat and get in and out of its water bowl, but something seems off to me. I am attaching pics of the tank and the tortoise, How can I fix it and what else does it need? Oh, and what kind is it? Thanks, Steph.

20200929_105807.jpg20200929_105814.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
hello, I am not sure what kind of tort that is, but wanted to verify if there was a UV light /heat lamp in there at all?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is a VERY poorly kept sulcata tortoise. Would someone post a link to the sulcata care sheet for this new member? (I'm unable to link at this time)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In order to get his eyes open place him in a bowl of warm water and let him soak for about a half hour.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a Sulcata and this poor baby has been neglected. Please give this a read and get him into something more suitable asap

sdcadigan331

Upton KY
That's a Sulcata and this poor baby has been neglected. Please give this a read and get him into something more suitable asap

Thank you for posting this! So I need to find a way to enclose the top of the tank? It has a wire type open top now. Should I completely clean out the cage and start over with new bedding and everything? What should I clean it with to not harm the tortoise?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you for posting this! So I need to find a way to enclose the top of the tank? It has a wire type open top now. Should I completely clean out the cage and start over with new bedding and everything? What should I clean it with to not harm the tortoise?

Yes, take everything out, but really, you need to work on getting a larger enclosure. It’s hard to create & maintain the proper heat & humidity in an undersized 10 gallon aquarium. Soooo, that would be a better start, get a larger enclosure, new/better substrate, check your lights & how you heat it..... it’s all in the care guide.

Good luck.

ps - a nice daily soak in warm water too. Asap, and daily. Just an inch or two in a tupperware container.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Hello,

Your glass tank won’t work for this tortoise (or any other tortoise).
What you need is a big closed enclosure and since you just randomly got the tortoise it can be very overwhelming.
On top of it it’s a Sulcata mini monster.

First thing you can do is go get the biggest possible plastic tub from Home Depot, Walmart whatever is the easiest for you.
Than follow Toms sheet for the substrate, lights and humidity.
As you are reading this forum more, you will learn everything needed.
Keep asking questions.

Soak that baby up in a nice warm water for at least 30 min.
I am no expert but we are all here to help.

shawnateerow

Maurice

We had an open tort table with a chk wire lid. I just added on to it and now it stays perfect temp. This is before and after. Was easy and pretty cheap to build
20200924_003324.jpg20200927_173745.jpg20200927_173755.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. Assuming Upton is uk? If so check swell reptiles on line. You can purchase reptile disinfectant as well as other helpful supplies and substrate. Please research sulcatas as they grow huge and need space. On this forum you can ask questions as you proceed and help will be here for you.

shawnateerow

Maurice
What about something like this?View attachment 307637

Needs to be completely enclosed to keep heat and humidity in. I had a chicken wire cover then when I made this fully enclosed hinge cover, even with the couple small gaps, my heat level during the day is now staying about 90-92. My babies have been much more active since

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I know this can be very overwhelming.
You can start with a plastic tub like this.
Till you figure out everything you will need to build your ideal enclosure.

Attachments

• F6022070-A0D2-4106-941F-8341233AD3BE.png
    F6022070-A0D2-4106-941F-8341233AD3BE.png
    84 KB · Views: 22

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
We were just given a tortoise from someone on a job my husband was working on. I have no idea what kind it is or how to care for it. It came with a 10-gallon fish tank, and some lights. But it doesn't seem like the little thing is getting enough of what it needs in this tank. It seems sick to me. I have seen it eat and get in and out of its water bowl, but something seems off to me. I am attaching pics of the tank and the tortoise, How can I fix it and what else does it need? Oh, and what kind is it? Thanks, Steph.

View attachment 307572View attachment 307573
Welcome! Just to give u an idea.. grow tents wrk really well for babies and they are pretty cheap. Just a few mods to it and good to go.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20