Just Another Diet Q&A Thread

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
When do you introduce fruits and vegetables (very sparingly, of course) to your baby sulcatas? I have read through the pinned threads on diets but couldn't seem to find an age range for the introduction of foods besides dark leafy greens/weeds/grass/hay/edible flowers.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'll take a stab at this question since I see many have looked, but no responses. From all the info provided under the Sulcata diet section, I'm sure you've noted that sullys are grass and weed eaters, and that there is no need or requirement to provide fruits or vegetables. In fact, I'm sure there are references here on the Forum where it explains thst sullys should not have high sugar fruits/veggies since their intestines are not designed to properly digest these items. Providing the occasional strawberry or small piece of watermelon won't kill them, but based on their diets there's really no need to provide. I wouldnt give any to hatchlings, or yearlings. They do perfectly well without. Hope that helps ( a bit ).

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I have read through the pinned threads on diets but couldn't seem to find an age range for the introduction of foods besides dark leafy greens/weeds/grass/hay/edible flowers.
Possibly part of the reason you are unable to find an age guide for feeding fruits and vegetables to sulcata tortoises is due in part because these are not normal foods to feed to a sulcata. Foods high in sugar are used mainly by the gut parasites and not by the sulcata. Hope this helps some…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When do you introduce fruits and vegetables (very sparingly, of course) to your baby sulcatas? I have read through the pinned threads on diets but couldn't seem to find an age range for the introduction of foods besides dark leafy greens/weeds/grass/hay/edible flowers.

I mostly agree with the above posters.

When to introduce fruits and veggies? Never. Instead you should be introducing foods that are good for them. Here is a sulcata feeding sheet written with the sort of question you asked in mind: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the responses. My question stems from seeing and reading about people (even on this forum) feeding a bit of fresh melon or other seasonal fruits and veggies as treats. In no way am I trying to incorporate these foods as a regular or even semi-regular staple in his/her diet.