Just an enclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
Rite I have a viv but I'm going to get a tort table in the future I was wondering surely it's alot harder to keep a table heated do you have to leave the heater on all day or what?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
Ideally, a table would be covered,making it easier to heat. It is likely you will have to leave a CHE on to maintain heat. If it isn't covered,it becomes very hard to keep any kind of parameters on heat and humidity.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Painters plastic, a shower curtain, etc. will be easier/cheaper than plexiglass. But probably much less aesthetically pleasing.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I just use an uncovered tortoise table, myself. Ambient temperatures match those of my house, which are fine, and the temperatures under the MVB are as they need to be. Of course, it means I keep a close eye on my house temperature, but considering I'm constantly cold anyway it's not a problem. When the heating needs to be on, it always is. :p:

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
Yeah but can you left that off because I wanna see my tort lol I want like a massive viv to be honest

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Then go with the massive viv. When it comes down to it, if your tort has a large enough space with all the correct temps, hides, foods...etc... They will be happy...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You have a Russian, right? Your tort is about 1 year old?
Air humidity is not as vital with Horsfields as with Leopards, or Redfoots. As long as your substrate is moist in most of the enclosure, you don't need to worry about covering the top, IF you switch from a viv to a table top.
You did set up your current viv very nicely, but are you working on getting your tort a larger enclosure?
If you want to get a really big viv, and you can, do it. That should allow enough variation in temps: they need the warm basking area but also the cooler side so they can self regulate as needed.
A table top would probably be less expensive, but get what you want!

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
Thanks yeah that's rite she's like a year old I think I will try building something for her myself

Status
Not open for further replies.