Just a thought (galvanized water trough?)

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Has anyone used a galvanized steel water trough for their indoor enclosure for their Sulcata? I'm thinking about purchasing one that is 8x3x2. Thought?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I think that would be a good idea. I use 160 gallon stock tank for my indoor enclosures. Mine is a black plastic type material though not galvanized. mine is not as big however because I don't have the room for two of them that size.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
I just hadn't seen any pics so I just wanted to see if I was crazy before I mentioned it to my husband who will definitely say I am. Lol. I'm thinking 300 gallon which should be more than enough room for now and in the future when tiny moves out.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How big is your tortoise?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421893575.086798.jpghere is a picture of mine for my Russian tortoise. It is a semi closed chamber. but you don't have to make yours a close chamber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have used them in the past. They work fine, but the open top allows all the heat and humidity to escape. I did a thread on it a while back...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have used them in the past. They work fine, but the open top allows all the heat and humidity to escape. I did a thread on it a while back...
I missed to that thread. Mine is not a tight close chamber, it's sort of jerryrigged. But it allowed me to go from hundred 25 W chicken lamp down to regular 100 W lightbulbs to provide heat. I don't feel like I am cooking the top of my tortoise as much this way. and I don't have to add water to the enclosure is often either. I will keep them as close chambers for the winter while the heat is running in the house. and I will keep them open when I just use them as night time enclosures rest of the year.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
I would make a top for it out of plexiglass so that it would be a closed chamber. I'm also thinking about putting wheels on it for when I need to move it. Tiny is 3.5 lbs as of last week. I would post a pic but it appears that in all my wisdom I have deleted quite a few pics off my phone.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
I'm going to attempt to find that thread Tom. Hopefully I have better luck with that than finding my pics. Lol

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think wheels would be a good idea. Those puppies get heavy! just moving mine around when they were empty was a pain in the butt :) I put those sliders that you used to move furniture undermine so if I have to I can shove them around the room a little bit. I don't have a sulcata so I don't know how long they need a close chamber and high humidity. but you can definitely make one pretty easily. and then take the top off when it's not needed anymore. I made mine with a cheapie shower curtain and some plant frames. it's just thrown together but it seems to be working okay, I will pretty it up this weekend. The inside dimensions are about 52" x 38" x 20" hig so not huge but it works for winter. I have an adult Russian and an adult Boxturtle so the humidity is not as vital. as for a young tortoise. @Tom can you give us the link to your thread?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've used plant dollies under stock tanks. My only concern would be the way metal conducts both cold & heat, but if your ambient temperatures are comfy it should be okay. I use rubber stock tanks & like them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Plants dollars would've been a good idea. Wish I would've thought of that before I put all the stuff in it :-( oh well. The metal might get cold and it can get very hot. Mine is a plastic/rubber type material. I'm not sure what you call it. It is not the foam kind though. It does not absorb the heat too much even though it is black

oknursedana

5 Year Member
I love the plant dolly idea!!!! My house is consistently between 68-74. It will also not be in direct sun light. I will post pics once I finally get it going. Lol

oknursedana

5 Year Member

Can you point me in the direction of the thread mentioned above?

oknursedana

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422231649.406664.jpg

Complete. Still trying to get everything right temp and humidity leveled out.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Nice, how well does that wood top work? It looks like it opens right in the middle? Take pics of it when you can. I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid I've been meaning to covert into something like this.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
The middle is a 2x4. The 2 rounded parts are attached to it with hinges. The middle board has 2 holes in it for either another che or light. I will take a closer pic after my daughter finishes reading to me.