A few questions about Hermanns Setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kytortoise91

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise in a few months. I've done a lot of research, but I'm still kinda confused on a couple things. I already have it's indoor turtle table. It's a 6x2. I know I want to use Cyprus mulch, and I know the diet and everything. But I can't decide on which uvb I should use. I was thinking about using a reptisun 10.0 and a regular light in a 4 foot light fixture, that covers almost the length of the enclosure. Then I was going to use a heat lamp for the basking area. Or I was thinking about a mega ray bulb with the uvb/heat in one. I just don't know which is best? My second dilemma is the humidity. I plan on soaking him multiple times a week. But should I spray the cryprus mulch in the entire table? Or just under one hide? Sorry for the lengthy post. Just want to make sure the setup is perfect before I get my new tortoise. Thanks

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Welcome to the forum! I'll let the experts handle your questions.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
kytortoise91 said:
Hello, I'm planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise in a few months. I've done a lot of research, but I'm still kinda confused on a couple things. I already have it's indoor turtle table. It's a 6x2. I know I want to use Cyprus mulch, and I know the diet and everything. But I can't decide on which uvb I should use. I was thinking about using a reptisun 10.0 and a regular light in a 4 foot light fixture, that covers almost the length of the enclosure. Then I was going to use a heat lamp for the basking area. Or I was thinking about a mega ray bulb with the uvb/heat in one. I just don't know which is best? My second dilemma is the humidity. I plan on soaking him multiple times a week. But should I spray the cryprus mulch in the entire table? Or just under one hide? Sorry for the lengthy post. Just want to make sure the setup is perfect before I get my new tortoise. Thanks

I prefer the ZooMed Powersuns for my indoor enclosure (bearded dragons, my torts live outdoors). I had read on another forum that a lot of keepers preferred Megarays, but lately there have been production issues with those bulbs.

As for the humidity issue, someone that keeps their torts indoors should chime in on that one. Mine are outdoors with planted enclosures. The plants are watered regularly.

kytortoise91

5 Year Member
Thanks. It will be outside a lot when it's warm out. But weather in KY can be unpredictable, so I just want to make sure the indoor enclosure is perfect.

kytortoise91

5 Year Member
Okay after thinking it over, I'm going to go with the reptisun 10.0 and separate basking spot. That way when he wants to go to the cool side he can still get uvb. But how far up should I put it? With my bearded dragons I put it 6-8 inches. Would it be the same? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.