July 4th eggs

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Vic Morgan is often on Tortoise forum as emysbreeder. Seems it would be worth sending him a pm or two about the gnats. I know I've seen him write about it here but can't find the thread. Congrats on the eggs!
Ron
We have spoken about it numerous times before about it. Really the best option is to remove any infertile eggs from the rest.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well all seems to be going well for the eggs. I have dug them up and checked them. No caving in, and still solid round plump eggs. You can see the moisture in the substrate but it feels very dry. So I think this method is going to work quite well and I may see some hatchlings(fingers crossed and hoping) in another 50 days or so)

Berkeley

Best of luck to you on your incubation, Kelly. I hope you get some hatchlings. I've got a clutch of emys emys eggs incubating now too. Since my female laid them so early (like yours, she has laid in Oct in the past) I thought I would try and leave them in the nest and see what happened.
--Berkeley

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Best of luck to you on your incubation, Kelly. I hope you get some hatchlings. I've got a clutch of emys emys eggs incubating now too. Since my female laid them so early (like yours, she has laid in Oct in the past) I thought I would try and leave them in the nest and see what happened.
--Berkeley
Awesome. Hope yours hatch too. Would be interesting to see if they can hatch from the nest. But good weather will dictate that. And being in the nest during summer should prove favorable.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looking forward to the update.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looking forward to the update.
As am I. Lol.

I dug up one of the nests I buried in the aquarium. One egg on top looked no good and was caved in. HOWEVER. The rest of the eggs were perfect. Still bright white, very heavy(I picked one up). We have hit some fall weather. So the middle of the nest has been high 70s to low 80s. So I'm thinking they may hatch a bit later than typical constant temperature incubation. But so far so good. Perfect white, filled out eggs, and no flies. I'm on the edge with these. Been attempting for 4 years with this species and no luck in hatching a little guy that lives beyond a couple days.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Still nothing pipped out of the soil yet. We are at 73 days. So I'm going to dig them up and see if we have any pipping. I'm very on edge with these. Having failed all attempts prior. But this method seems to be keeping the eggs very white and plump. They usually cave in a bit. I'm curious to know when they will hatch though. The method used here has not been a stable constant temp like normal incubation. It's had drops and rises from day-night. Which to me is more natural. Also with them being buried too. I'll update the dig up tonight and see what we have.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Still nothing pipped out of the soil yet. We are at 73 days. So I'm going to dig them up and see if we have any pipping. I'm very on edge with these. Having failed all attempts prior. But this method seems to be keeping the eggs very white and plump. They usually cave in a bit. I'm curious to know when they will hatch though. The method used here has not been a stable constant temp like normal incubation. It's had drops and rises from day-night. Which to me is more natural. Also with them being buried too. I'll update the dig up tonight and see what we have.

Patiently waiting for an update
Not really so hurry up already, lol

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)