I've just adopted a horsefield tortoise :-)

[email protected]

5 Year Member
He was bought for my 8 year old brother last year but he has had a lot of health complications this last year and is not able to look after him. He asked me to look after him and I've always loved him especially when living there so now he is at home with me.

He is in a small tortoise table ATM so I'm upgrading him to an underbed Storage box as temporary accommodation until I get him a bigger home.

I've also started preparing for his outdoor enclosure which I'm planning for him to be in this summer.

Btw I don't know if he is a he we think he is around 3 years of age.

This forum is great I've already ordered my weed growing kit which should be arriving today so cannot wait for that!
He wasn't getting a lot of exercise at all with my brother so am planning to change that with the outdoor summer enclosure.

Here is a picture of the little guy who is called Timmy.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395229540.387663.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Cute little Russian tortoise. Be careful with the under-the-bed-storage bin. Sometimes the sides are too short and tortoises can climb out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Timmy is a cutie....have you researched about soaking, diet and providing a warm humid hide ? All of these things are very important and in combination with your upgrade of an enclosure and plan for outdoor natural sun access--the tort should do just fine :D

What type of substrate are you using and how deep is the substrate? You know that this particular species is a MASTER escape artist right? They can climb straight up at a vertical angle, they can and do use plants to climb up and over edges of enclosure walls....so keep all of this in mind when setting up the outdoor enclosure :D

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3659/morkclimbing03.jpg

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Thanks :) yes I've started growing weeds and in the meantime feeding him cress rocket and pak choi ImageUploadedByTortForum1395258342.844557.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

[email protected]

5 Year Member
I want to make him a bigger table

I want to make him a bigger indoor enclosure but it needs to be off the ground. I'm not sure what I would put it on?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He's such a cutie!! :)

My Russian does not seem to like boy choy, but I have not tried Barbarea yet.