I've created a monster....

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
Fed Ned some cucumber today....it would be a huge understatement to say he loved it. He spent the next ten minutes tramping round his enclosure sniffing out spots where the juice dripped...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most tortoises find it to be absolutely irresistible!
You can serve it dry, but most of us pour a little water on it to soften it.
I'm thinking that U.K. members have been able to find it or have found a suitable alternative.
Let's ask my pals @Lyn W.
She is in Wales or @johnandjade from Scotland.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Cathy, I have only tried moistened 'dried' food a few times with my tort and he turned his nose up at it each time so he always has fresh. I believe there is a similar product to mazuri available in the UK but I can't remember the name sorry.
Lola absolutely loves cucumber too but because it is watery and has little nutritional value (if any) I only give some to Lola if she seems constipated, or if I am introducing new foods I will just drip the juice from a cucumber or tomato onto it because the smell encourages him to try it.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi Cathy, I have only tried moistened 'dried' food a few times with my tort and he turned his nose up at it each time so he always has fresh. I believe there is a similar product to mazuri available in the UK but I can't remember the name sorry.
Lola absolutely loves cucumber too but because it is watery and has little nutritional value (if any) I only give some to Lola if she seems constipated, or if I am introducing new foods I will just drip the juice from a cucumber or tomato onto it because the smell encourages him to try it.
That is exactly why i gave it to him. He has gotton his appetite back...hiwever this in itself has other side effects I thought i was going to have trouble getting him to eat it. He was more than willing.Do they need to eat much to produce laxitive effects? Vet recommended liquid paraffin.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Anything with a high water content would have a laxative effect. Depending on the type of your tortoise, you have many options.
If you're just trying to get him to eat again. Cucumber as stated is not very nutritious but since your little guy loves it so much, begin to mix it finely chopped with some more appropriate foods. Then use less and less cucumber.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Anything with a high water content would have a laxative effect. Depending on the type of your tortoise, you have many options.
If you're just trying to get him to eat again. Cucumber as stated is not very nutritious but since your little guy loves it so much, begin to mix it finely chopped with some more appropriate foods. Then use less and less cucumber.

Ya he is eating all his greens again dandelions, clover, lambs lettuce, plantain etc which is great but has been having difficulty in the pooping department so someone recommended cucumber. Id never tried to feed him cucumber before seen as it has little nutritional value. I thought he wouldnt take it. I was wrong. Now hoping it will ease the strain soon!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That is exactly why i gave it to him. He has gotton his appetite back...hiwever this in itself has other side effects I thought i was going to have trouble getting him to eat it. He was more than willing.Do they need to eat much to produce laxitive effects? Vet recommended liquid paraffin.
I grate cucumber to a mush which seems to work more quickly.
In the US Liquid Paraffin is called mineral water and I have seen that recommended for constipation if given on leaves dipped in it. However when I tried to buy some in a pharmacy I was told you couldn't buy LP anymore. I haven't tried any other chemists.
Mine also likes aloe vera stems which has a laxative affect.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I grate cucumber to a mush which seems to work more quickly.
In the US Liquid Paraffin is called mineral water and I have seen that recommended for constipation if given on leaves dipped in it. However when I tried to buy some in a pharmacy I was told you couldn't buy LP anymore. I haven't tried any other chemists.
Mine also likes aloe vera stems which has a laxative affect.

Ya i got liquid parrafin today anyway in a pharmacy. Ive been tube feeding the tort critical care since vets visit when it was recommended. I rang vet about constipation and he said to mix the critical care powder with a little liquid parrafin and water when im tube feeding.
P.s my tort developed a crack in his beak quite a while ago and i took him to the vet where he filed it back. My tort now has a high raised upper beak on one side. It has affected his ability to tear food since. If i give him any kind of wet leaves they all get stuck to the roof of his mouth and he seems to spend ages using his tongue to try and dislodge them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'll have to try a different pharmacy for the LP - not needed at the moment now weeds are back on the menu but always handy to have in the tort medicine cabinet.