It's time to start looking for a sulcata hatching

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
It's time to start looking for a reliable breeder. I am looking for a sulcata hatching. Since I read that hatchling failure usually starts w breeder and improper care before u even get it I am going to ask here, where would b the best place or breeder to use? Any referrals would b greatly appreciated. I seen on breeder list a couple different names and businesses, and suggestions, opinions on which is best?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most any active member of the forum and also tortoisesupply.com. Tyler, the owner is also a member here, not very active anymore, but stands behind what he sells. Good luck on your search.
Also, be sure to read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and care of your hatchling sully.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
There is a breeder list on this site, it's a small tab under the tortoise breeding tab. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If I was going to buy a Sulcata baby, it'd be from @Tom
He invests a lot of his time working with this species and educating others on their care. Plus, he undoubtedly would offer his support to the new home of one of his babies. ;)

There are other breeders that do it right, too. So pick a few, contact them to get a feel for who you like and happy searching! :)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
If I was going to buy a Sulcata baby, it'd be from @Tom
He invests a lot of his time working with this species and educating others on their care. Plus, he undoubtedly would offer his support to the new home of one of his babies. ;)

There are other breeders that do it right, too. So pick a few, contact them to get a feel for who you like and happy searching! :)
Well I will have to say Tom has giving me a lot of info and practically walked me through my enclosure set up. Thank u for the suggestion.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Amanda
Your from NE Tenn. I would read all I could get my fingers on the TFO aboutSulcata 's be cause I love my baby's and please I don't have Sulcatas but my torts ARE more important then my kids ( but they are in their 30' s ) but if I was going to part with one of my baby's I would want that person to be well informed
about the tort . For example your from Tenn what are your plans for a 75 pd Sulcata in the winter ? If you have thought about this then I know you really care and will love it as much as I do and I do love each of my torts . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are the questions to ask:
1. What substrate are the babies on?
2. How often do you soak the babies?
3. Did you use a brooder box or leave them in the incubator to absorb their yolk sac?
4. Did you introduce a wide variety of foods to the hatchlings?
5. What was the incubation media?
6. Do the babies have a humid hide?
7. What is the ambient humidity, and what temps are they kept at?

Wrong answers:
1. Rabbit pellets, sand or anything dry.
2. Once a week.
3. Incubator.
4. Mostly romaine or spring mix.
5. Perlite.
6. No.
7. I don't know or low or less than 40%, and low 70s at night and 110 during the day.

Right answers:
1. Coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch...
2. Daily.
3. Brooder box.
4. Yes, weeds, grasses, leaves, flowers, Mazuri, ZooMed pellets, etc...
5. Vermiculite is my preference.
6. Yes.
7. Around 80%, no lower than 80 degrees.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Amanda
Your from NE Tenn. I would read all I could get my fingers on the TFO aboutSulcata 's be cause I love my baby's and please I don't have Sulcatas but my torts ARE more important then my kids ( but they are in their 30' s ) but if I was going to part with one of my baby's I would want that person to be well informed
about the tort . For example your from Tenn what are your plans for a 75 pd Sulcata in the winter ? If you have thought about this then I know you really care and will love it as much as I do and I do love each of my torts . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
I have thought about this. I almost turned away from the idea due to the fact of my winter weather, then I did my research. I actually found this forum thru my research and decided to turn to the people on here because I knew I would get correct info and "how to's" because they are pet owners not scientist. I have took ever step possible to ensure I am doing the very best for my future tortoise. Even tho it won't b needed for a few years and I will b moved to a new house by that time I have already set the wheels in motion for my outdoor enclosure for a 200lb tank and this will include a "house" heated to protect him from weather as needed. I do this with all my extended family members. I have a 175lb Rottweiler and 65lb boxer and when they started staying outside full time, I had a "yard barn" built, fully insulated with heat and air for them, of course I won't need the air conditioning and it will b built different but I will do the same for my tortoise. And yes, I have read on the dangers of dogs and tortoises and have 2 separate areas so there will b no accidents. When I decided to go ahead with this I knew it would b for a lifetime and beyond. I love my pets, furry or shelled, they part of my family and if I thought for one moment I wasn't meeting their needs or they would have better life else where, I would make that sacrifice. I am glad to see there are others that love their pets like I do.