Sulcata Egg Hatching - Blood Spot

zoergoff

Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
Hello, this is my first time posting to the forums and my first time hatching a tortoise egg. I had a sulcata tortoise egg arrive this morning, it was shipped overnight. I noticed when I opened the package that there was a small blood spot where the egg had started to hatch. I had not read about this prior, and I am struggling to find more information. I contacted the breeder and am waiting on a response. In the meantime, I have been setting the egg up with heat and misting the enclosure to get the humidity right. Could anyone here tell me if this is normal or something I should be worried about? Thank you so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 25
  • C34A7389-1061-4AED-B76B-DD36D8D31FE8.jpeg
    C34A7389-1061-4AED-B76B-DD36D8D31FE8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, this is my first time posting to the forums and my first time hatching a tortoise egg. I had a sulcata tortoise egg arrive this morning, it was shipped overnight. I noticed when I opened the package that there was a small blood spot where the egg had started to hatch. I had not read about this prior, and I am struggling to find more information. I contacted the breeder and am waiting on a response. In the meantime, I have been setting the egg up with heat and misting the enclosure to get the humidity right. Could anyone here tell me if this is normal or something I should be worried about? Thank you so much.
Mine hatch on vermiculite so it would be harder to see if something like that were happening. I've never noticed any blood.

Is that perlite in the deli cup? Remove the egg from there ASAP if yes. Like right now! Stop reading and walk over there right now. Perlite will kill your baby.

Read this for the correct way to start a baby:

Do you have an incubator? You need one. I suppose you could put your brooder box in the enclosure and close it all in and make that like an incubator.

Here is a thread detailing all of this info. Keep reading to the end, as I go into much more detail about exactly what to do:

If you are misting the cage, then I already know you haven't got the right cage. You'll need a closed chamber in about 7-10 days when your baby is ready to be in an enclosure. Here is all that info:

Be aware that most of the care info you find for sulcatas is wrong. We've been doing it all wrong for decades and most of the tortoise keeping world has not kept up with the new discoveries and improvements in care.

zoergoff

St. Louis
Mine hatch on vermiculite so it would be harder to see if something like that were happening. I've never noticed any blood.

Is that perlite in the deli cup? Remove the egg from there ASAP if yes. Like right now! Stop reading and walk over there right now. Perlite will kill your baby.

Read this for the correct way to start a baby:

Do you have an incubator? You need one. I suppose you could put your brooder box in the enclosure and close it all in and make that like an incubator.

Here is a thread detailing all of this info. Keep reading to the end, as I go into much more detail about exactly what to do:

If you are misting the cage, then I already know you haven't got the right cage. You'll need a closed chamber in about 7-10 days when your baby is ready to be in an enclosure. Here is all that info:

Be aware that most of the care info you find for sulcatas is wrong. We've been doing it all wrong for decades and most of the tortoise keeping world has not kept up with the new discoveries and improvements in care.
I am not sure if it is perlite, it looks like the substrate was used to keep the egg secure during transit. I will definitely be moving it!

Thank you for the linked threads, they were helpful to read. The breeder has already gotten back to my emails, so I am hoping to learn more about the blood spot specifically soon too.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Tortstork?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I actually got the egg from Sin City Reptiles. I found a lot of positive reviews online and the breeder has been very communicative and helpful.
Ahh the competition lol. Just joking, they're friends. I had done a Cherry head egg from Tortstork.

Alexolivia

Michigan
Did your baby turn out okay? I am interested in ordering an egg from him but want to make sure everything will be okay. Do you have any tips to help me with the hatching stage?