it's Mazuri day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
I feed this once, occasionally twice a week, and it's always an exciting feeding day. These are a pair of hermanni hermanni.

mazuria.jpgmazuri.jpgMazuri 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
I love the first picture haha. It looks like the first tort threatened not to save the other any mazuri, so the tort in the back is shouting "Oh no you don't!" My younger torts love mazuri. It is tortoise cake. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isn't it funny how they can't go around. They have to climb over the top of the tortoise that is already in front of the food. Mine are like that too.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nice photos - the torts look keen on their dinner!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They certainly seem to be enjoying it.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
tortoisenerd said:
It is slightly sweet and probably smells good to them? Tortoise crack cake. lol

Whatever it is, about half of my box turtles love it too. They get it as an occasional treat to change things up a bit in their diet. It's strange that many of the turtles and most of the tortoises love it, but a few will have nothing to do with it. That's what I don't really understand.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
It might be sweet to them but if you taste it the diet is neither salty nor sweet.

tortoisenerd said:
It is slightly sweet and probably smells good to them? Tortoise crack cake. lol

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Great now I am hungry for a big bowl of mazuri.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
nearpass said:
It's strange that many of the turtles and most of the tortoises love it, but a few will have nothing to do with it. That's what I don't really understand.

Taco heard that!

She wants me to tell you it is no mystery, that some tortoises simply have more discriminating taste!:cool:

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Stephanie Logan said:
nearpass said:
It's strange that many of the turtles and most of the tortoises love it, but a few will have nothing to do with it. That's what I don't really understand.

Taco heard that!

She wants me to tell you it is no mystery, that some tortoises simply have more discriminating taste!:cool:

Good on her ;) Actually, I'm pretty sure I've read that tortoises really can't taste, that it's their sense of smell that's really important. I know mine can smell it if it's anywhere in the herp room and their heads pop up. Some torts perhaps don't have such a good sense of smell, or it just doesn't smell good to them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well, all my boxies love it and Chewy is starting to like it too. I have to take a Chewy picture with mazuri.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
terryo said:
Well, all my boxies love it and Chewy is starting to like it too. I have to take a Chewy picture with mazuri.

Tell her not to overdo! It may ruin her girlish figure.:cool:

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
The best argument for tortoises not having taste buds is they eat their own poo. If they had taste buds I am sure they would not eat it, case closed. :)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
That's not really a good argument. They might taste things differently than we do.

dmmj said:
The best argument for tortoises not having taste buds is they eat their own poo. If they had taste buds I am sure they would not eat it, case closed. :)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
-EJ said:
That's not really a good argument. They might taste things differently than we do.

dmmj said:

Also, dogs have taste buds, and plenty of them eat poop!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
well, dogs are insane.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I was affraid to ask this... but... does anyone really know what poo (edited by mod) tastes like... I really don't.

Kayti said:
-EJ said:

dmmj said:

Also, dogs have taste buds, and plenty of them eat poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.