It's ALIVE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I got these pads in December and was wondering if they were going to grow. Was so excited to see the little sprout/flower forming. I have heard that once you get them started they grow really well so I am hoping to have cactus pads for feeding all next winter:D
Any growing tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

George018.jpg

!

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
looks like that oputia cactus has spines? I get a shipment every month fron rivenrock gardens http://www.rivenrock.com
and they are spineless.... also they are easy to get started.. I have a dozen potted pads that have grown very easily, I just let them dry out, take a pad leave it in a warm dry place, not in the sun, but not in the dark just on the counter or something, wait about a month and it will sprout on its own, roots and sprouts! give them a try if you are looking for more. the spinless is the only way to go....once the plant has seasoned the base stalk will get those fine little spines in places but those are not the ones you'd feed to torts anyway... good luck

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
NEtorts said:
looks like that oputia cactus has spines? I get a shipment every month fron rivenrock gardens http://www.rivenrock.com
and they are spineless.... also they are easy to get started.. I have a dozen potted pads that have grown very easily, I just let them dry out, take a pad leave it in a warm dry place, not in the sun, but not in the dark just on the counter or something, wait about a month and it will sprout on its own, roots and sprouts! give them a try if you are looking for more. the spinless is the only way to go....once the plant has seasoned the base stalk will get those fine little spines in places but those are not the ones you'd feed to torts anyway... good luck

Thanks! I will definately check them out.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Lucky!! I am still waiting for mine to do something! It's like waiting for a rock to grow! I hope it will grow, it's not turning black or anything, so my fingers are crossed!!

honu

5 Year Member
I'm growing cactus too just don't run your hand on the fuzzy parts because I did and it turned out to be small spikes and they HURT after awhile!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
That 'fuzz' are the glochids you may have heard mentioned in other posts. They are nasty little itchy sons-o-guns... You may be able to remove them by rubbing the afflicted part through your hair. Tough luck if you get them on your elbow! :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I found that if you do not wet them much until they root they survive longer.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I put them in my greeks enclosure near the MVB light. They really took off once I put them in there. They have been growing quick fast.

And the spikes are wicked!!!! Since they are in the enclosure I found I would hit them with my arm when I fed George. Wouldn't notice at first but then they start to turn red and hurt.

moswen

5 Year Member
honu said:
I'm growing cactus too just don't run your hand on the fuzzy parts because I did and it turned out to be small spikes and they HURT after awhile!

AhhAhA! And even when you don't touch the glochids they find their way to your skin like tiny invisible nightmare-death-spears! My daughter especially gets them the most (she's 3 and has a hard time remembering what you should NOT get close to!) and it takes ENDLESS amounts of patience to find and tweeze 15 different glochids that are "icchin' on me!" as she likes to call it. Welcome to the wonderful world of tortoises, eh?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Don't over water, that will kill most cacti. Good drainage, use either cactus sand or make your own with 60 % potting soil 40 % sand, my own personal blend. Tortoises tend to love it so make sure you grow a lot so they don't get "addicted" and then all the sudden you run out.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
And they will get addicted. Cactus is what I use to introduce new food items to them because they can't resist. They love it to much to pick through it and it is sticky so the other food sticks to it. Good luck!

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
We have a lot that sort of thing here....what types of cactus are good for Russians?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
[/quote]

AhhAhA! And even when you don't touch the glochids they find their way to your skin like tiny invisible nightmare-death-spears! [/quote]

That was hilarious!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We feed alot of cactus, even to our new hatchlings. Great food source.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LadyV said:
We have a lot that sort of thing here....what types of cactus are good for Russians?

The bigger leafed ones in my opinion are easier to work with, before feeding any cactus I take and burn off any thorns. The ones you find in markets being sold for humans work well for either starters or to feed. If you check around in here, you should run across several members that might be willing to give or sell you starter leaves.

HLogic said:
You may be able to remove them by rubbing the afflicted part through your hair. :D

Jeff keeps telling me that too, but it never works for me.:(

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glochlids are a pain in the @$$!

There are some spineless Opuntia species that don't have as many glochlids. Once you get a few specimens established...then just harvest the very new and tender pads which don't have many glochlids at all.
Don't underestimate those little spines. A friend of mine had an adult radiata that got an abscess from one which required some veterinary attention. But that is a rare case.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
harris said:
AhhAhA! And even when you don't touch the glochids they find their way to your skin like tiny invisible nightmare-death-spears!

That was hilarious!!

Unfortunately also very true. No mater how careful I am working anywhere my few plants or picking out cactus leaves or fruit at the store, I always get attacked by them. I think they sit in wait for folks like me. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.