It Ain't Pretty But They Love It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Since winter finally showed up and is doing in all the plants I use as food for the tortoises I am trying different mixes on them, Today I used frozen (then thawed) banana tree leaves, very ripe cactus fruit, mazuri, bamboo leaves, and a small amount of baked sweet potato. The pics tell the story, Roberta the Leopard loved it and so did the others that it was offered to.

JD9981

5 Year Member
It does look awful but it apparently tasted great!!! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually it looks kinda pretty, but sounds awful. As long as they like it, that's all that counts

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Where are you able to buy all of those leaves? I never even thought about that!!!
I'm going to have to try a "mash" like that!! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the color cactus fruits make the food.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
When I saw the first pic I thought your tortoise exploded.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yellow Turtle said:
Nice mix, looks tasty. Banana leaf is good for tort? We have plenty here :D
As far as I know they are good as part of a varied diet, been feeding them to my adult sulcata for years, in fact he will eat the whole tree if I cut the trunk into pieces, I also found it easier to mix them with other foods if it is frozen or blanched first to soften the leaves and then cut into small pieces for the younger torts. I freeze them and thaw as needed during winter. Since you don't have winter to can cut and feed fresh all year, The frost has taken a toll on most of mine already so they are heading for the freezer to be fed later.---Irwin4530, the only place I know of where you may find them is at Thai Restaurant, never seen them for sale anywhere around me.They are easy to grow just about anywhere though.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Definitely does not look appealing to us humans, but to torts I guess they loved it. They gobbled it up.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
Roberta's face: "I can't believe I ate the whole thing".

I don't know much about what that other stuff tastes like, but prickly pears are delicious and sweet potato isn't too bad. It's a gorgeous color and probably wouldn't taste too bad.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Len said:
As far as I know they are good as part of a varied diet, been feeding them to my adult sulcata for years, in fact he will eat the whole tree if I cut the trunk into pieces, I also found it easier to mix them with other foods if it is frozen or blanched first to soften the leaves and then cut into small pieces for the younger torts. I freeze them and thaw as needed during winter. Since you don't have winter to can cut and feed fresh all year, The frost has taken a toll on most of mine already so they are heading for the freezer to be fed later.---Irwin4530, the only place I know of where you may find them is at Thai Restaurant, never seen them for sale anywhere around me.They are easy to grow just about anywhere though.

Thanks....I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Len said:
Yellow Turtle said:
Nice mix, looks tasty. Banana leaf is good for tort? We have plenty here :D

I don't plan to feed it any time soon. But when my aldabra grows big then why not as a mix food. They are plenty here and people using them as cheap food wrappers here or wrap some dish before cooking to create some unique aroma. I guess they smell good so the torts also like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.