It’s a shell question….

Perky01

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall
Hello,
iv just re-homed this little guy. He's a Hermann and is about a year old. I was told he had shell rot when he was younger and still needs cream daily. Iv attached a picture of the cream.
Is this correct? Or should I be doing something else? To me he really doesn’t look right. As you can probably tell, I’m new to the Tort world, and want to get it right.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 43A60D51-20BA-4EBD-B39F-8B3EF598643E.jpeg
    43A60D51-20BA-4EBD-B39F-8B3EF598643E.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 22
  • F7CA4447-657D-4791-A71E-BC313210C21F.png
    F7CA4447-657D-4791-A71E-BC313210C21F.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 16

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I don’t have any opinions on anything other than the ‘lavender essential oil’ part of this product. Essential oils can be quite overwhelming, applying this to a tortoise which has a keen sense of smell could be very uncomfortable for them. I don’t know whether this product is suitable for use on tortoise’s other than this so I won’t add anything else other than I’ve never seen a Hermann’s with shell markings like this? Then again, I haven’t seen many hatchling Hermanns so maybe I just haven’t looked around a lot lol.

Perky01

Cornwall
I did wonder
I don’t have any opinions on anything other than the ‘lavender essential oil’ part of this product. Essential oils can be quite overwhelming, applying this to a tortoise which has a keen sense of smell could be very uncomfortable for them. I don’t know whether this product is suitable for use on tortoise’s other than this so I won’t add anything else other than I’ve never seen a Hermann’s with shell markings like this? Then again, I haven’t seen many hatchling Hermanns so maybe I just haven’t looked around a lot lol.
Thanks for the reply. I did also question the “lavender essential oil” myself. I don’t feel comfortable applying it. Do you know of any other treatment?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, that's a picture of a brand new baby. He hasn't been alive long enough to have developed shell rot.

Perky01

Cornwall
May we please see pictures of the bottom shell? I'm not sure that's a Hermanni.

For shell rot we use any brand of athlete foot cream.
Of course you can.

Attachments

• F1B028C5-E720-435F-BBEF-BD38CC166E0E.jpeg
    F1B028C5-E720-435F-BBEF-BD38CC166E0E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Perky01

Cornwall
Also, that's a picture of a brand new baby. He hasn't been alive long enough to have developed shell rot.

The previous owner is a colleague of mine, she has had him for 12 months. I only got him yesterday- that is when the picture was taken.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Did you get a CITES certificate with them from your colleague? Assuming your colleague payed for this tortoise originally, Hermann’s do require a CITES certificate if they’re being sold.

Perky01

Cornwall
Did you get a CITES certificate with them from your colleague?
No, he was given to her by her neighbour. Not ideal, I know. I don’t think the poor fella has had the appropriate care. I’m completely new to this, any information is gratefully received.
I have however, spend the past 2 days swatting up, and have read a lot on how best to care for him. He’s in safe hands now. Especially with you guys on hand for advice.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Ah yeah, seems like they’ve been bounced around quite a bit :( It would help people identify if they had a CITES but if not I’m sure people will figure it out! As Yvonne said, this tortoise does look young, with hardly any growth so it is difficult to believe they are a year old (My own tortoise was started horribly and had a lot more growth than this at half a year old). If they are a year old then they will be in need of a lot of TLC to ensure their growth picks up, so feel free to ask in forum if you feel lost with all the information, people are here to help <3

Since this is in the health section of the forums and you’ve already received an answer from Yvonne regarding shell rot treatment. Have you weighed them yet? Might be worth weighing them and just noting it down every week or so (after a soak) to ensure your tortoise is growing steadily (Apart from the obvious growth lines and such). It’s also nice to see just how much your tortoise has grown in your care :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Ah yeah, seems like they’ve been bounced around quite a bit :( It would help people identify if they had a CITES but if not I’m sure people will figure it out! As Yvonne said, this tortoise does look young, with hardly any growth so it is difficult to believe they are a year old (My own tortoise was started horribly and had a lot more growth than this at half a year old). If they are a year old then they will be in need of a lot of TLC to ensure their growth picks up, so feel free to ask in forum if you feel lost with all the information, people are here to help <3

Since this is in the health section of the forums and you’ve already received an answer from Yvonne regarding shell rot treatment. Have you weighed them yet? Might be worth weighing them and just noting it down every week or so (after a soak) to ensure your tortoise is growing steadily (Apart from the obvious growth lines and such). It’s also nice to see just how much your tortoise has grown in your care :)
I like to draw round the shell on to a piece paper every so often - it is interesting how the shape changes, and you can see if the tortoise is getting bigger. And soak him in warm water up to the halfway line on his shell for as long as possible - warming up the water as necessary. That might show any shell damage better.
Angie (from Devon, by the way)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the caresheet that will help you set up his home
Ask as many questions as you like there's always someone here to help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
iv just re-homed this little guy. He's a Hermann and is about a year old. I was told he had shell rot when he was younger and still needs cream daily. Iv attached a picture of the cream.
Is this correct? Or should I be doing something else? To me he really doesn’t look right. As you can probably tell, I’m new to the Tort world, and want to get it right.
Thanks in advance.
This poor tortoise as not been cared for correctly at all. Read that care sheet that Lyn linked. If you follow it, he should get back on track.

Perky01

Cornwall
Iv attached a close up of his shell, to see if anyone can shed any light on what is going on. Does it need treatment?

Attachments

• 85696545-9CA8-4BE4-9B8E-54B7C9E599BD.png
    85696545-9CA8-4BE4-9B8E-54B7C9E599BD.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Iv attached a close up of his shell, to see if anyone can shed any light on what is going on. Does it need treatment?
The carapace doesn't need treatment. It looks odd because the tortoise hasn't been cared for correctly.

The previous shell rot was on the bottom, and that is very difficult to do in this species. They are not the least bit prone to shell rot. It would have to have been contact wet and fouled for that to happen. I don't think it need any more treatment. The tortoise just needs the correct substrate, diet, hydration, heating and lighting, and temperatures,

I'm glad the tortoise is in better hands now. We are happy to help, so please feel free to ask lots of questions. It is no bother.

Perky01

Cornwall
Hi and welcome,
This is the caresheet that will help you set up his home
Ask as many questions as you like there's always someone here to help.
Thanks Lyn, this is so helpful.

Perky01

Cornwall
The carapace doesn't need treatment. It looks odd because the tortoise hasn't been cared for correctly.

The previous shell rot was on the bottom, and that is very difficult to do in this species. They are not the least bit prone to shell rot. It would have to have been contact wet and fouled for that to happen. I don't think it need any more treatment. The tortoise just needs the correct substrate, diet, hydration, heating and lighting, and temperatures,

I'm glad the tortoise is in better hands now. We are happy to help, so please feel free to ask lots of questions. It is no bother.
Thanks Tom. This forum really has restored my faith in humanity. Everyone is so kind and helpful.