It’s a new baby

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
It's against the law to take them from the wild. If you've legally adopted one, or rescued one like Epps did, then it's illegal to breed them, and if they lay eggs you're supposed to let nature take its course, as they did by leaving the eggs in the ground to hatch or not. So since they've done nothing wrong, it's perfectly legal for them to either keep the baby or adopt it out, no fee. Once a person has a desert tortoise in their possession it is illegal to turn it out into the wild. It could infect the wild population with disease.
Another quiver of Tort knowledge in my bag ....
Thanks @Yvonne G

I just had a thought ...... I'm wondering if you have forgotten more tortoise knowledge than I have learned. Just another funny, I truly appreciate being able to access the "Encyclopedia Yvonne"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I worry about this with my fading old age memory. Hopefully I'll never give out bad info on the Forum! But it's best for everyone to question when something doesn't sound right.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I worry about this with my fading old age memory. Hopefully I'll never give out bad info on the Forum! But it's best for everyone to question when something doesn't sound right.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You're just as likely to give out bad information here as I am to explain the difference between Xylophenium Platasaurum and Crotalysis Exourium.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Another quiver of Tort knowledge in my bag ....
Thanks @Yvonne G

I just had a thought ...... I'm wondering if you have forgotten more tortoise knowledge than I have learned. Just another funny, I truly appreciate being able to access the "Encyclopedia Yvonne"
Try being her sister...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Not sure about being a sister, but being a friend was truly a joy and nothing but a pleasure.
When I reread these comments, I see that my comment about being Yvonne's sister could be taken 2 ways and I normally do try to insult her and make jokes about her but this time...I meant that whatever you see in her as a friend and advisor is magnified a thousand times more as a sister. She is a hard *** and always tells like it is, and I don't like it sometimes...but she also is understanding and considerate and helpful and ...wait for it...she's fun when nobody's looking. She has gone out of her way to make my life better all the time, she rarely says no to me. She has a Texas tort I want...but no dice. You'd be really lucky to have a sister like her

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
When I reread these comments, I see that my comment about being Yvonne's sister could be taken 2 ways and I normally do try to insult her and make jokes about her but this time...I meant that whatever you see in her as a friend and advisor is magnified a thousand times more as a sister. She is a hard *** and always tells like it is, and I don't like it sometimes...but she also is understanding and considerate and helpful and ...wait for it...she's fun when nobody's looking. She has gone out of her way to make my life better all the time, she rarely says no to me. She has a Texas tort I want...but no dice. You'd be really lucky to have a sister like her
You are so right .... Reading your post made me teary eyed, she is a Treasure. I am jealous.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It’s the little things in life ….

View attachment 366974

Baby Cane pooped ..... This is one of the things I was waiting for to confirm healthy bowels. I'm happy as SH..... well ya know what I'm going to say.
It still amazes me at the pleasure I get from the small things!
It looks hard and dry to me...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I waited to long to take the picture and they dried out. YOU are right though for pointing out that they are way to dry and hard to be healthy. Thank You.
Mostly I was just teasing you cuz you are so obsessive about every little thing....if you are still having poop problems, get some Mazuri tortoise food and feed that for a bit and her poop problems will fix themselves...
lol

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Mostly I was just teasing you cuz you are so obsessive about every little thing....if you are still having poop problems, get some Mazuri tortoise food and feed that for a bit and her poop problems will fix themselves...
lol
Thank You my friend. It does make me feel better that Big Brother (or Big Sister) is watching out for us. I have introduced Mazuri with GREAT results. We feel Mazuri is a great food to include in a complete diet. Today I will be paying very close attention to Baby Cane to see if He/She poops and make sure it is not hard and dry. Again Thank You

_The_Beast_

Canada
Thank You my friend. It does make me feel better that Big Brother (or Big Sister) is watching out for us. I have introduced Mazuri with GREAT results. We feel Mazuri is a great food to include in a complete diet. Today I will be paying very close attention to Baby Cane to see if He/She poops and make sure it is not hard and dry. Again Thank You
Inquiring minds want to know: how's the 💩?

Looking forward to more Baby Cane updates when time allows 😊

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Inquiring minds want to know: how's the 💩?

Looking forward to more Baby Cane updates when time allows 😊
O my ... didn't think we were wondering. It is well, very well. Baby Cane is growing fast and pooping fast as well. 28 grams now, 22 at earth born day. I call the 17th of February the day that the Earth had Baby Cane, he's Earth Born Day. Since we have no idea what day Cane was cracked from the egg. It has been such a precious pleasure to be part of his/her life and watch as things are learned, eaten ans observed. Nothing like Chris's "Otis" but kinda like that, Cane will look at you studying your eyes and face. I do truly enjoy having a baby tort.
Thanks for asking

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Baby Cane is growing well and getting lots of walks, under supervision. I did use a chipper on the Orchid Bark and thought it worked OK. Baby Cane though is getting small pieces of it in the neck folds and I fear it causing issues. Does anyone else have this issue? Everyday a couple times I twist the wet tip of a q-tip and use it like a feather to wash/dislodge the small pieces.IMG_0586.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you pat it firmly with your palm it compresses and is neater and easier to walk on.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Great news……… caught Baby Cane pooping and it was soft and uniform. I was wondering just as others if it was moist or if I wasn’t providing enough humidity. Well looks like all is well in Baby Canes GI Tract.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1