It’s a new baby

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Yay congrats! What an exciting find.
Is it Sally's possibly?
Yes it is ... so last fall/winter I closed up a deep tunnel she had. Today she dug about a foot down but right over the end of the tunnel she had. So eventually it might have made it out but she dug it up, such a COOL thing. Momma digs up the baby months later. Feel terrible for covering the tunnel now, guaranteed though the eggs had to been buried there. The pen was her pen last Summer and fall, well it still is her pen.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What a beautiful gift your tortoise gave you...

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Tiny. DesTINY's child song " I am a survivor" I will work on it. LOL however.....

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So we have to pick a gender neutral name, right? It's going be awhile before we know boy or girl?
We like "Royce Cane" .. We are the 3rd people to own this property we're on, Royce Smith being the first and Canebrake being where she was born. So born on Royce street in Canebrake Royce Cane.
So much for the survivor thing, o well I'm married and used to it. It will be just Royce for short.

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There should be three or four more. Frequently a nest of babies will hatch in the fall and overwinter in the nest until spring or when the ground warms up

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
On it… looking constantly now for more. Our son came home from work last night and said “The name must be Cane”. We have Moe from Mojave and Jo Jo from Johannesburg and now Cane from Canebrake. Baby Cane now and if female it shall be Miss CaneIMG_0320.jpeg
Been reading @Tom care for this little guy/gal over and over. Today going to try and run those big chunks you get in Orchid Bark through our SunJoe electric chipper that has been worthless, unless this works. If it does it will be the first thing this chipper has been able to do for us. Optimistic though.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
22 grams is what Cane weighs in at. I am guessing it is pretty important to keep weighing and track of that weight for clues to any issues? I couldn't help but think of Jaime Sheffield all day yesterday. So easily it could be any of us ... Yesterday was full of Love, The Love of our animals for us, the love we have for ALL our animals as well as each other. It was full of recognizing the blessings in my life, this little beautiful creature being a big one. When life throws you a curve ball it's not bad, you are just going in a different direction !

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
A pic of his angry side ...

IMG_0341.jpegWas trying to do an inspection of toes, legs, nares to make sure that there was nothing bad that needs attention. Baby Cane was not liking it and was letting us know, a cute picture. But when this happened I made it VERY clear to all in the family that this was bad. Do not pick up unless absolutely necessary. I do not want to create any stress that there is no need for, so until Baby Cane is a little more comfortable with the surroundings and life in general we'll do everything we can to not cause stress.

I would like to take this opportunity to explain something I posted that might not of been received well. In a thread a while back the comment was made "I am from the rescue side NOT the breeding side so I look at things a little different" by me. I want to say 1st I have no problem with those who breed. When my wife and I started our family and were looking at animals to include in our family there was an enormous need for animals that needed a safe and comfortable home. Our very first was a Bubblegum Rat Snake, very aggressive and needed a permanent home. It seemed whenever we were interested in bringing another animal into our home there was always one in desperate need for a home. Paying for an animal to ensure it was no longer going to suffer was not a deal breaker, several times there would be an *** that wouldn't let the animal go unless paid ... so we did. We found it harder and harder to breed when there where so many "Homeless" animals. Our families thoughts on new animals was shifted to the rescue side after years of ONLY taking animals in need. The feeling of helping a creature in need of compassion, stability and sometimes just a chance took over. The beauty of life at it's first moments was still appreciated but saving one was so rewarding. People who breed get to see innocence, the pure joy of a life started and get to determine the life the creature will have. Us as a rescue are rewarded by creating that for an animal that might not of ever had a life worth living. We as a Family feel so blessed with Baby Cane, having that experience of a life just starting. We all were pretty sure we would never have this, all the animals we get have already been mis-treated. Us as a Family just enjoy saving a life so much, it's part of who we are. But again we have no problem with those who take joy in creating life.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
What a feeling, baby Tort eating from your finger ….IMG_0379.jpegIMG_0378.jpegIMG_0377.jpeg
Truly a special experience. So happy that Mazuri is not an issue, he loves it. This will only be 1 food he will be given but very important we feel to ensure proper nutrition. Our family is "Loving" this little treasure, it is an experience we never thought we would get to enjoy.IMG_0369.jpeg
Only a temporary house, once we get into town I'll find something Cool for Baby Cane.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Quick question here - are you "supposed" to return it the wild once an adult, or if born in captivity it stays in captivity? I don't know how things work with DTs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quick question here - are you "supposed" to return it the wild once an adult, or if born in captivity it stays in captivity? I don't know how things work with DTs
It's against the law to take them from the wild. If you've legally adopted one, or rescued one like Epps did, then it's illegal to breed them, and if they lay eggs you're supposed to let nature take its course, as they did by leaving the eggs in the ground to hatch or not. So since they've done nothing wrong, it's perfectly legal for them to either keep the baby or adopt it out, no fee. Once a person has a desert tortoise in their possession it is illegal to turn it out into the wild. It could infect the wild population with disease.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It's against the law to take them from the wild. If you've legally adopted one, or rescued one like Epps did, then it's illegal to breed them, and if they lay eggs you're supposed to let nature take its course, as they did by leaving the eggs in the ground to hatch or not. So since they've done nothing wrong, it's perfectly legal for them to either keep the baby or adopt it out, no fee. Once a person has a desert tortoise in their possession it is illegal to turn it out into the wild. It could infect the wild population with disease.
Makes sense, thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is just totally adorable and I love him! 🤩