Is too much UVB possible?

truffles93

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Hey! I'm currently using 22" T5HO Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB. Is hanging it 12" above my baby IST carapace or subatrate too low? Is there such thing as too much UVB/UVA?

There is a hide box for complete shade if my tort needs it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I think there is such a thing, however, your set up seems ok. Besides the hide box, you can add some plants in around the enclosure. This gives additional shade and a more secure feel for the baby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes there is such a thing as too much. Ever been sunburned?

12" for an HO bulb sounds too close. Only a UV meter can tell you for sure. This is the one you want: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Not only will the meter allow you to set the height of your UV bulb correctly, it will save you a bunch of money, since you won't be replacing bulbs that are working perfectly fine every six months.

truffles93

Orange County, CA
Yes there is such a thing as too much. Ever been sunburned?

12" for an HO bulb sounds too close. Only a UV meter can tell you for sure. This is the one you want: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Not only will the meter allow you to set the height of your UV bulb correctly, it will save you a bunch of money, since you won't be replacing bulbs that are working perfectly fine every six months.
Ok Cool. What UVI do Indian stars enjoy most? I'd like to mimic their natural habitat UVI.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok Cool. What UVI do Indian stars enjoy most? I'd like to mimic their natural habitat UVI.
I think 3-4 is good if you want to run it all day. I like to run mine at 6-7 UVI and have them on a timer for 3-4 hours mid day only. This more closely simulates the mid day UV spike that happens outside.

truffles93

Orange County, CA
I think 3-4 is good if you want to run it all day. I like to run mine at 6-7 UVI and have them on a timer for 3-4 hours mid day only. This more closely simulates the mid day UV spike that happens outside.
Thank for the advice Tom! =D