Normal Behaviour for Winter? Sleeping more?

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Just wondering about my little guy's behaviour. He is now 10 mos old and 94 grams. He is eating and pooping and I still give him daily bath soaks. But I have noticed since winter has arrived he is sleeping more and eating a bit less. Although, his weight is steady, in fact it has gone up 2 grams in less than a week. I just wondered if it is normal for him to sleep more in winter?

His enclosure is still the same as summer and it is warm. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises take their cues from the barometric pressure, the length of the days, and the temperatures. You really can't affect the barometric pressure, but you can keep the lights on 14 hours and make sure the temperature all over the habitat stays the same. Go back over your tortoise-keeping and make sure it's the way it is supposed to be.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
His light goes on at 9 am and stays on until 9 pm. It is on a timer. I have checked and everything is fine with what he has. :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Many tortoises are active early in the morning. Try shifting the light cycle to start earlier, at 7 am. You can run the lights 12-14 hours a day. See if it makes a difference.

My RTs sulk on grey days

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thank you, I have re programmed his light to come on at 7 am now. :) It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow so maybe he will come out more if the room is brighter.