shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuttle

5 Year Member
i just bought this guy and i noticed his plastron is not smooth like some parts have minor abrasions. kinda worried. guys can i ask if this is shell rot? sorry for the crappy pictures. thanks

esrhc8.jpg

2lw85et.jpg

2yv8nzk.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
While I can't see anything noteworthy in your pics, I can tell you of a commonly seen problem with RFs. It is pretty well known that they need high humidity, so many people douse the substrate with water and keep it pretty wet to ensure higher humidity in the enclosure. RFs are more prone to shell rot that some species, so the above practice frequently leads to fungal infections in THIS species. Other species like sulcatas and leopards are NOT prone to this problem.

From what I have read (I have very little personal experience with this species) a closed chamber helps with this problem. The upper layer of substrate can be kept relatively dry, while a more damp layer underneath will maintain the needed humidity. I hope that some actual RF keepers will chime in here.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That does not look like shell rot to me (not from these pics anyways)...the Redfoot here have indoor enclosures and they are 3/4+ way covered, have the moistest spot directly under the basking light and then the soil eventually gives way to a cool dry end opposite of the basking light....they utilize both sides equally as well as hang out in the middle some too...:D They also get outside natural sun time along with that fresh warm natural air...

skuttle

5 Year Member
ascott said:
That does not look like shell rot to me (not from these pics anyways)...the Redfoot here have indoor enclosures and they are 3/4+ way covered, have the moistest spot directly under the basking light and then the soil eventually gives way to a cool dry end opposite of the basking light....they utilize both sides equally as well as hang out in the middle some too...:D They also get outside natural sun time along with that fresh warm natural air...

thanks guys. i really hope it isnt. i just brushed her plastron up with water here is a new clearer photo i got hope you can see it well to be sure. thanks
ve6a69.jpg

1zdqb78.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.